Search for content in message boards

town names

Replies: 5

Re: Origins of the Huwe Family

Posted: 7 Dec 2012 9:50AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Huwe and Puphal
Hi Kevin. Otto and Mathilda (Puphal) Huwe traveled here in the early 1880s from Breitenstein, Germany. I think I've heard your name in the family, tho there could be many Kevins! They settled for a short time in Wisconsin where one of their daughters passed away. Then they pushed on to settle in Corlis township of Minnesota, north of Perham. Otto had been a road engineer in Germany and continued his work in that township where the roads he built can still be traveled on today. Mathilda, one of the oldest siblings in her family, came from a huge family back home and twin sisters were actually born to her mother after she left. She was very intelligent; spoke and wrote high German, low German, English and Polish. Otto could only sign his name with an X. How they ever got together is beyond the family stories. Their final family picture was taken after Otto died, and his face was added into that rather famous family picture. They worked tirelessly to establish the Lutheran Church in Corliss where they lie in the graveyard today.

Their oldest daughter was my grandmother. I was lucky enough to have spent much time with her siblings when I was younger. I would love to know about your line in the family.

Please feel free to write me at wearmanyhats@yahoo.com for any additional questions. Good luck with your searches.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Carole Huwe Bruinsma 24 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Anita Peterson 12 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Carole Huwe Bruinsma 12 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Kevin Huwe 16 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT 
wearmanyhats2... 7 Dec 2012 4:50PM GMT 
wearmanyhats2... 7 Dec 2012 4:41PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions