Search for content in message boards

Survey of parish registers in Slovakia

Replies: 55

Re: Survey of parish registers in Slovakia

Posted: 4 Feb 2013 2:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Mike.

Answers to questions
1. No, I am not fluent in Slovak but, my father is and I also have a friend in Bratislava who helps me. Now, for the record, most Slovak vital records are in either Latin (Roman Catholic) or Hungarian (Evangelical/Lutheran). The major difficulty in reading the records is the quality of the filming, the legibility of the handwriting, and, depending on the time period, how they wrote.
The index for the LDS films I have found to be useful but be careful for many records are mistranscribed and the spelling of the names is wrong. Also, one needs to realize that the Slovak surnames are in Hungarian not in Slovak.

2. The towns are indexed in the Slovak names for the towns in what is now Slovakia. I have not tried to do an geographic search using Hungarian versions of Slovak towns.

3. On this, I have no idea. I am not aware of this happening but, it does not mean that it did not.

Tips:
1. The LDS index does not reveal Marriage Records. You have to do a page by page search for them.

2. If you are uncertain of the spelling of a surname, you can used the “wild card” (*) in the LDS search if you have the first three letters of the surname. Please remember that the spelling will probably be in Hungarian not Slovak.

If you have a specific record you wish me to view, send me the URL along with a statement of for whom I am searching and I will take a look.

Sorry this took so long for me to get back. As of late, I am rarely on Ancestry.com

Regards,

J. A. Koso
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ZlaticaBeca 8 Jun 2011 2:50PM GMT 
kaseysmom 28 Dec 2012 4:27PM GMT 
ZlaticaBeca 28 Dec 2012 4:38PM GMT 
BarbaraaCM 30 Aug 2013 7:07PM GMT 
jakoso1 22 Jan 2012 10:43PM GMT 
jakoso1 4 Feb 2013 9:13PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions