Search for content in message boards

Uz'horod (Ungvar in Magyar)

Replies: 39

Uz'horod (Ungvar in Magyar)

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 10:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Unferdorben, Varian, Gajdos, Morenics, Wagner, Hux, Hytra, Werner, Stohl, Schweighert
Looking to find great grandmothers family. She was Vilma, christened Wilhelmina Morenes (church record according to my deceased mother spelled it Morenics...and her sister, Cornelia, pronounced it "Mooreenush". She was a great cook/baker and looked every bit Eastern European.

What I know: Cornelia Morenes was supposedly from Ungvar and was born abt 1882 and married Joseph Gajdos who owned a meat market/grocery on Grand Street in Garfield, NJ. Joe died during the flu epidemic in 1918. When I was 3, I attended her wake in Passaic, NJ. I remember she was buried in a nun's habit (I vaguely remember hearing something about her being a member of the Third Order [of St Francis?])

Her sister, Vilma Morenes was born abt 1878 and at the time she, her sister and their twice-widowed mother arrived in the US, had been engaged to a Lieutenant in the Austrian army.

Vilma married Istvan Unferdorben of Balinka in Passaic in 1902. Istvan had recently been widowed (6 weeks earlier) from Carolina Wagner (daughter of Anton and Eva Piedl (according to familysearch).

Vilma and Cornelia had a sister, Mary that married a George Varian and she was a widowed shortly after arriving in the US. There was also had a brother Rudolf that stayed in then Austria. Their mother's name was Zsusanna and she was born about 1836. Would love to know her husbands'names as well as her parents, but not sure where to look without maiden name or village, etc. My grandmother helped to pay for a friend of the family or someone, to attend medical school and used to correspond with him but we never found any letters when she died. I have a picture of whom I believe it was but there is no writing on the back of it.

Mary Varian (Mrs George Varian) owned a market on President Street in Passaic. She had 2 daughters: Ethel (Etta), who married George Werner, Mary that married John Hytra, and Julius that married several times...a Sophie, Marion McGarry and Anna Nagle.

Mary Varian Sr seems to have had siblings: Mary that married a Michael Varian and lived in NY, Amelia Molly that married an Alexander Hux and lived in the Bronx and cooked for a wealthy family (she also read tea leaves).

Any help will be appreciated as familysearch has not provided any more info than I have listed.

Have not been able to find any arrival records to find out last residence; only remember my grandmother saying her mother's side was from Ungvar and also some stories about the government taking their property, saying it was big enough for several families and giving them smaller places to live (like a couple of rooms). I just read about how land was parceled out in 25 acre tracts during the time when many emigrated.

Several appeared to be affluent after being in the US a short time.

Hoping to meet some new cousins and also try to find out more about these families. I just wish I could have found out this information while my mother was still alive; she was fascinated by it all and passed that on to me.

The Unferdorben kin from Balinka - I would love to expand on that. I know Istvan had a sister Anna that married George Grisgraber (From Istemer) and they moved to Southbury, CT. I'm betting they had other siblings. I have the Grisgraber geneaglogy from meeting a cousin online here.

Thanks in advance!

Stephen
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
RamsesGordon 14 Jan 2013 5:52AM GMT 
ZlaticaBeca 14 Jan 2013 5:47PM GMT 
ZlaticaBeca 15 Jan 2013 1:56AM GMT 
RamsesGordon 16 Jan 2013 1:51AM GMT 
RamsesGordon 16 Jan 2013 1:33AM GMT 
ZlaticaBeca 16 Jan 2013 6:22PM GMT 
RamsesGordon 18 Jan 2013 6:29AM GMT 
RamsesGordon 17 Jan 2013 8:57PM GMT 
ZlaticaBeca 17 Jan 2013 11:16PM GMT 
RamsesGordon 19 May 2014 8:52AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions