Search for content in message boards

WW1 Veterans

Replies: 1

WW1 Veterans

Ivan (View posts)
Posted: 2 Apr 2005 10:30AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Curkovic
I am very interested in learning more about my great-grandfather, Ante Curkovic. Based on what I have told he was one of the many Croats in Bosnia to have fought during WW1. He fought somewhere in Galicia near Romania and died either in 1917 or 1918 at the age of about 35 years. Although he was one of the lucky few to return, he died shortly after returning, apparently due to some spoiled meat he had purchased in Mostar that had made him sick.

I do not know if anyone here has ever viewed some of the old Austrian WW1 Kirchenbuch records but in the near future I plan to order some of the microfilms from the LDS to pursue some research on this matter. Has anyone ever viewed these records and if so, how easy is it to understand the records without a good command of the German language? These records consist of birth, marriage, and death records.

I am also trying to pinpoint which possible infantry unit my great-grandfather might have served in. Ante came from the Duvno/Tomislavgrad region of Bosnia and based on the information I was told b.-h. I.R 3 was fighting in Romania in 1917 as part of the 31st Division as was b.-h. I.R. 5 with the 71st Division. However, based on my research I think there were only 4 infantry regiments from Bosnia-Hercegovina so I think IR5 could be IR4. I also think most of IR3 recruits came from the Tuzla area while the IR4 recruits came from the Mostar area (which might have included Duvno).

Any other information that may be of further help is kindly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Ivan
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Ivan 2 Apr 2005 5:30PM GMT 
Mohnbauer 25 Dec 2012 2:23PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic