Search for content in message boards

Pastrikakis/pastdekakis-Gavalochori, Crete-Looking for relatives in Crete

Replies: 12

Re: Pastrikakis/pastdekakis-Gavalochori, Crete-Looking for relatives in Crete

Posted: 5 Jul 2013 5:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
I see you are still searching.
I am curious by nature, So I checked your name further.

Gavalochori, as you probably know, was a village established by the family Gavala, the owners of the “feoudo” there. (they were the “Barons” of that particular part of Crete).
As I mentioned earlier, the name “Patsrikakis” does not sound Cretan and it does not appear in any “Cretan surnames” catalogues.

However, “Pastrikos” is a Cretan/Venetian dialect word meaning (in plain English) Clean. In Greek, “Katharos”. You can safely assume that the name “Pastrikakis” and “Pastrikos” have the same start. Either a child named “Pastrikos”, became an orphan and was called “Pastrikaki” or a young person was very “clean” (personal hygiene or in business) and was nicknamed “Patrikaki” and the “word” Pastrikakis was reduce to Pastrikos (Clean).

Crete was the first part of Greece to became independent, and the Cretan Police force was well established and trained. Most parts of the now independent Greece, wanted Cretan policeman for protection and to train their own police. Cretan police was every where in Greece. Attached a picture of Ioannis Pastrikakis wearing the Cretan Police uniform (about 1900). He probably spend sometime elsewhere. There are Pastrikakis in the Thessaloniki area. You will also find in Chios, in the Cathedrall Church of St. George, Vrondades, a monument for the Heroes of Mount Epos one of the heroes is “Pastrikakis”. You can check with the Chios Society to find more about him.

The oldest person I could find is Kyriakoula Pastrikakis, born ca. 1860 in Gavalochori, wife of Antonios Salivourakis (from Gavalochori). Her son Ioannis migrated to USA in 1909.

You will find a few Pastrikos in USA and Canada. The only way to search the past is by using Maiden names of wives.
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
lostlilgirl 5 Mar 2012 4:07AM GMT 
filmwaves 5 Mar 2012 9:25AM GMT 
lostlilgirl 10 Mar 2012 5:46PM GMT 
Debbie Pavlos 12 May 2012 5:57PM GMT 
lostlilgirl 5 Jul 2013 4:51AM GMT 
filmwaves 5 Jul 2013 11:19PM GMT 
Debbie Pavlos 5 Jul 2013 11:42PM GMT 
lostlilgirl 6 Jul 2013 12:36AM GMT 
filmwaves 5 Jul 2013 11:19PM GMT 
filmwaves 5 Jul 2013 11:20PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions