Search for content in message boards

Seeking help with surnames "Psaledakis" and "Zoulenakis"

Replies: 8

Re: Seeking help with surnames "Psaledakis" and "Zoulenakis"

Posted: 15 Jun 2013 4:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
I will try to be more helpful.
Both names you are interested in, are very difficult to search, especially Zoulinakis. I will be very surprised if you succeed.
The name Psalidakis is "easier" but it will take time.
The "original" name here is Psalidas and/or Psalidis (some spell it with two "L"). I say the "original" because there was another surname before that.

As you know Psalidi = Scissors. Who uses Scissors? A Taylor of course.
So, a person, surname unknown, was a "Taylor" and had a eye catching pair of Scissors (size, decoration, who knows). Fo various reasons he became known as the "man" with the "Scissors" (Psalidi) and was forced to change his name to Psalidis or Psalidas. That happened some 300 years or more ago. Athanasios Psalidas was a well known educator in Corfu around 1740. Most of the early Psalidas/Psalidis families lived in Epirous area, Northern Greece. They had one thing in common, very religious and many of them were Priests. It is not surprising therefore that the first record of the Psalidis in Crete are two Priests.

in Nov.1716 members of the Psalidis family in Crete, were taken prisoners and send to Spinallonga Including Androulis Psalidis (Priest) son of Manolis; and his son also Manolis; Another Manolis Psalidis son of Elgios. There are quite few more.

There is no record of the spelling "Psalidas" in Crete. Sometime between 1820 and 1870 a Father (Psalidis) or both parents were killed or separated from the children and some of the children if not all were "called", "Ta Psalidakia" and the name Psalidakis was created.

There are not many "Psalidakis" around before 1870. The Metropolite I mentioned must be a relative. You should be able to find information about his parents, brothers/sisters, etc in a Church Library. You may also find stories about other Psalidis Priests in Crete.

It is important to find out when the name changed from Psalidis to Psalidakis and why.

The best way to start is from the wives names and families. Do you have any wives names?

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jared Handspi... 11 Apr 2013 6:44PM GMT 
filmwaves 11 Apr 2013 9:23PM GMT 
Jared Handspi... 12 Apr 2013 11:06AM GMT 
Stephen Yung 14 Jun 2013 5:33PM GMT 
filmwaves 14 Jun 2013 8:59PM GMT 
Stephen Yung 14 Jun 2013 11:27PM GMT 
Jared Handspi... 15 Jun 2013 11:47AM GMT 
filmwaves 15 Jun 2013 11:52AM GMT 
filmwaves 15 Jun 2013 10:02PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions