Search for content in message boards

Last name shortened during immigration to USA

Replies: 25

Re: Last name shortened during immigration to USA

Posted: 30 May 2013 11:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
My great-grandfather was definitely born and raised in Greece. This I know for sure. He and my great grandmother - Virginia - migrated to the US sometime around 1914 but my great grandfather moved back to Greece some years later. My grandfather received letters from him after his move back to Greece, that had to be translated by an Attorney here in Fredericksburg that was of Greek descent (Pappas). The attorney that translated the letters for my grandfather is now deceased, as is my grandfather. I do not believe that my great grandfather's ancestors were British, but I could not be 100% positive. No one in my family has ever been told that they were anyway. Sue Parr is my first cousin. I grew up with her. She and I are trying to track our ancestors in Greece. We did find immediate family (my grandfather's brother's family- Parr) in Michigan a couple of years ago through a Greek Message Forum, but they are as clueless as we are about our ancestors. Apparently it was not ever discussed or talked about much. We have always been told that Parr was the shortened form of some name that sounds like Parrhimenolous - or some version of that spelling. I have not seen that name, or anything that even comes close to that name anywhere on Ancestory.com or other websites that I have looked at. We know for sure that my great grandfather "George" (born about 1885-1890) and my great grandmother "Virginia" (birthdate unknown but would assume within the same range as my great grandfather) and my grandfather "Robert" (born 1911) immigrated here around 1914. We have always been told they came in through New York, but I have found no evidence of that. There may possibly have been a "Lucille" (thought be born around 1909)and/or a "Kathleen" (born 1914) depending on the actual date that they came over here. I would think that they would have all traveled together and therefore would all be on the same ship, but I cannot locate any of those names (together or separate for that matter) on any ship manifest I have looked at on Ancestory.com. I did find quite a few George Paraskevopoulos that would fit the bill in terms of date and age, but none of the other names appeared on the same manifest that would connect them to the person I am looking for. If anyone could take any of that additional information and maybe provide some advice or recommendations, I would greatly appreciate it!! Thanks!! :-)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ddharris6605 28 May 2013 4:12PM GMT 
filmwaves 29 May 2013 2:32AM GMT 
ddharris6605 29 May 2013 11:12AM GMT 
VictoriaRegin... 29 May 2013 2:53PM GMT 
ddharris6605 29 May 2013 3:17PM GMT 
VictoriaRegin... 29 May 2013 3:39PM GMT 
filmwaves 29 May 2013 8:49PM GMT 
VictoriaRegin... 29 May 2013 9:50PM GMT 
filmwaves 29 May 2013 10:54PM GMT 
ddharris6605 30 May 2013 5:23PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions