Search for content in message boards

Tsimbidaros surname

Replies: 2

Re: Tsimbidaros surname

Posted: 13 May 2013 5:41AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: I.T.
Vasilios Tsimbidaros died in Lowell Mass; I came to see him while he was very, very old - still alive (he remembered!) - during a visit when his son, my cousin, was obliged to place him in an old age home in order to take care of him. His brother Elias, my grandfather (whom I never met) married to Stavroula ( my grandmother) died, I think, in Cleveland, Ohio, - I'm not sure. Their children lived, as a matter of fact, in New York City. Panagiota (Julia) was my aunt, my father's oldest sister, a very lovable woman, that had remained unchanged in her manners and speech up to her very last day when she died in N.Y. (Bronx). Their children (cousins) and grand children should still be found in N.Y.C. The others, - another sister named Maria, died in Cleveland, Ohio (chidren and especially grand children, even great grand should still be found there. The list could be rather long.
Karea, in the province of Lakonia was originally the starting point - but not always; the region certainly, but you can find the name later in Piraeus as well (near Athens), but even in a town north of Sparta, deep down in the valley of the river Eurôtas before crossing over to the province of Arcadia (impressive mycenean vaulted tombs are still to be seen near by). The family name is medieval and must have originated in Mystra (or Mistra or Myzithras), the fortified stronghold of the Paleologoi imperial branch - the last! (a national monument today), a town that survived until the newly founded "kingdom" of Modern Greece obliged the inhabitans to descend from the fortified hill and occupy the newly created modern city of Sparta in order to facilitate trade. This is the reason for which the name of the various branches (closeley related or not) of the Tsimbidaros family are to be found in the vicinity around Mystra and modern Sparta - a little north and down to the sea in the Mani peninsula around Areopolis and Oitylon
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jim Dion 16 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT 
ilias_tsimbid... 13 May 2013 11:33AM GMT 
ilias_tsimbid... 13 May 2013 11:41AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic