Search for content in message boards

Mathilda (Tillie) Herschovitz - or maybe Silver(man)?

Replies: 1

Mathilda (Tillie) Herschovitz - or maybe Silver(man)?

Posted: 25 Oct 2012 9:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hersch, Herschovitz, Silver, Silverman
My great-great grandmother, Matilda (Tillie), immigrated from Bucharest somewhere between her birth (1901) and her daughter's birth (1923). She was very secretive about her life in Romania (she died in 1959, and I was born in 1996, so I never even came close to getting the chance to talk to her) so nobody knows anything, not even her last name. There are rumors circulating within our family that her last name was Herschovitz, but I've also heard Silver and Silverman. Her mother's name was possibly Sarah, and she had a brother, Phillip Frank, and a sister, Fanny (Hirsch). Fanny, Tillie, and my great-grandmother all lived in Chicago, but Phillip Frank possibly died in Philadelphia. There's also a rumor that Tillie was a twin, but her twin died in Romania, possibly sometime during the 1920s. We are a Jewish family too, if that helps at all. Tillie married a man named David Weiner, but the father's name on my great-grandmother's birth certificate was Frank Herschovitz. (I believe she may have used her brother's name to avoid putting down the real father's name, but I'm not positive in that fact. There's yet another rumor - do you see a pattern here? - that Tillie's first husband died in Romania before they left for the US.)

Any help would be SO greatly appreciated. I can provide more info upon request!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Amanda Peters... 26 Oct 2012 3:14AM GMT 
Istvan Szucs 28 May 2014 9:15AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic