Search for content in message boards

Luca Franciuc left romania to Regina Saskatchewan in 1913

Replies: 0

Luca Franciuc left romania to Regina Saskatchewan in 1913

Posted: 13 May 2012 9:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
trying to trace his family back to Romania. I have a fair amount of info after his arrival but this is what I have around his arrival in Canada: he was born in 1894 ish:
Recollections of Luca (Franciuc) Francis of His Experiences, the Romanian Community and Churches in Regina, Saskatchewan as Related to His Daughter, Eugenia Virginia (Francis) Popescul in January, 1978
My father was nineteen years old when he arrived in Regina, Saskatchewan on a warm, sunny weekend in July of 1913. He had left his parents and three older brothers and two sisters at home, which was Mitocul Dragomirnei, Judejul Suceava, Bucovina, Romania. Regina had experienced a damaging cyclone in 1912 and the Romanian newspa­pers carried advertisements about available work. This enticed my fa­ther to come to Canada as he wanted to make his fortune and return home to Romania a rich man. Two younger cousins, loan (John) (born 1896)? and Aurel Danis, came to Canada with him but they did not remain in Saskatchewan too long.

(***Grandpa was the stowaway - no record of him on the SS Roon from Bremen Germany to Halifax***)
They took the train from Romania to Bremen, Germany, crossed the ocean by boat (*S.S. Roon) and docked at Halifax, Nova Scotia, (*July 5, 1913) where they boarded the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway which brought them to Saskatchewan. He remembers they had fallen asleep and because the train conductor had for­gotten about them, they were left off at Watrous, Saskatchewan. They then had to wait for another train to take them to Regina. Because they did not speak English, it proved helpful that father had studied German in school. The train station in Regina was located, at that time, just west of Albert Street near the Bridge. They decided to walk towards the city and after walking a short distance, they overheard someone hollering in Ro­manian. This is when they met John Moore (a ’Satean’ but of German parentage) who was in the house-moving business. After work, Mr. Moore took them home which was at 1756 Ottawa Street and then the fol­lowing Sunday he took them to Saint Nicholas Church.

Find a board about a specific topic