Search for content in message boards

POTISEK

Replies: 18

Re: Potisek family

Posted: 23 Mar 2002 9:26AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Mar 2002 10:56AM GMT
Surnames: Potisek
My Great Grandfather, my mothers mothers father, (according to Ellis Island Immigration records) came from Solvenia/St Martin/Austria. His fathers name was Ignatious and his mothers name was Mary. Franc came to the United States in 1910 at 25 years of age. My mothers fathers people came from Slovenia or somewhere in Austria, their last name is Plahitko but I find no matches for that spelling, grandpa always said Plahitko had other letters that were not English, an ancestry authority said that he thought the name was indeed from Austria and the letters were German/Russian.

I would love to know anything about Franc Potisek or his family there. I know that the man we beleive to be the last male Potisek lays dying in Pennsylvania, my Grandmother and Grandfather are gone and this man is my Great Uncle.
He had a son but he died in his late 20's early 30's as a United States Sheriff. He may have had a son, but I do not know. The name could very well be about to die out here in the United States.

The name Plahitko had lots of male heirs here to carry on the name.

My Grandmother was named for Franc Potisek (her father's) mother "Mary". She said that she remembered something about a young girl (under age 3) that had such a high fever on the ship coming to America that the Captain of the ship instructed she be put into a bag and lowered over the rail down to the ocean, he said the salt water would cure her fever. It did cure it and she lived, I think that may have been Franc's sister, this last bit is highly suspect however as it is all memory both hers and mine.

May God richly bless you and I pray you will respond and have word for me of Potisek's in our homeland.

Katie
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Melissa Topper 5 Mar 2001 8:22PM GMT 
urska_pavlica 16 Mar 2001 12:51AM GMT 
DSawyer1 23 Mar 2002 4:26PM GMT 
Urska 25 Mar 2002 8:25AM GMT 
BMLroots 25 Mar 2002 7:36PM GMT 
dsawyer11 30 Mar 2002 4:38AM GMT 
BMLroots 3 Apr 2002 6:15PM GMT 
dsawyer11 4 Apr 2002 1:20PM GMT 
BMLroots 5 Apr 2002 4:27PM GMT 
dsawyer11 30 Mar 2002 4:29AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions