Search for content in message boards

POTISEK

Replies: 18

Re: POTISEK

Posted: 15 Apr 2012 1:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Lucia,

Potisek was an often last name in 19th century in area in which my predecessors lived, so I can construct a couple of family trees. If you let me know a name of one of your male predecessors and his birth date before 1895 and if I find him in my database I can help you.

But I can speak about Potisek in general. The origin of the last name Potisek should be the village Velika Kostrevnica (municipality Šmartno pri Litiji) in central region of Slovenia, 30 km eastern from the capital Ljubljana. I suppose this is the only origin, because the name is not very often (187 in Slovenia in the year 2010, 70 % still in the central part) and can be followed in this village to 1700, at that time present with 2-3 families. It was most often in the second half of the 19th century.

By myself there could be two theories about the meaning of this name. Firstly, near Velika Kostrevnica on the hills there is a part of one village with the name Tisje. The first Potisek could be from this local part. The second possibility could arrive from Slovenian verb potisniti (to push). So, this should be a person, which is pushed out of the village or to the edge of the populated region.
Another version of this last name – Potisk, which is often in the northern (Styrian) part of Slovenia, probably does not have the same origin as Potisek.

I know for two families, which members went to the US, as I wrote about in my above issue. If your predecessor is one of these people I can construct the family tree.

Anton
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
bethpot67 11 Feb 2006 9:53PM GMT 
Kathy Wydock 12 Feb 2006 1:54AM GMT 
simonapust 29 Nov 2009 5:52PM GMT 
antonchoppar 27 Mar 2011 3:55PM GMT 
potisekl 3 Mar 2012 2:33AM GMT 
Mohnbauer 4 Mar 2012 1:32AM GMT 
antonchoppar 15 Apr 2012 7:23PM GMT 
bethpot67 6 Jul 2012 2:35AM GMT 
antonchoppar 30 Oct 2012 12:02AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions