Search for content in message boards

My Slovenian Family Names

Replies: 120

Re: FAJDIGA

Posted: 5 Aug 2007 3:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Suggestion! Create a new post where the surname is inc in the subject line... your post is buried in this monsterous pile of postings! And likely someone will not take the time (click, click) to get to the bottom of the pile!

There are records found in WW I Draft Reg, census and Social Sec. for Joe FAJDIGA (sounds like feye dee gah)

Since you gave no birth year for your family one can only speculate

Ship manifests find 2 FAJDIGA, Johann arr at New York (Ellis Is) one from Zaklanc destination Cleveland to Aunt, the other traveling with Anton both from Laibach (which is Austrian for Ljubjana) destination Pittsburg PA to mother Maria

Could this be your GF as shown on a WW I Draft Reg Card?

Name: John Faidiga (note this is how John signed the card)
City: Leadville
County: Lake
State: Colorado
Birth Date: 21 Oct 1882
Race: White
Wife Agnes
Occupation Rancher self employed
Roll: 1561833

The Social Security Death Index has John FAIDIGA died 1981 Denver Co with the same birthdate as above

The 1920 census for Leadville shows the family below which may be your family?
Name Age
John Faidiay 37
Agnes Faidiay 31
Mary Faidiay 11
John Faidiay 9
Emily Faidiay 8
Frank Faidiay 7
Edward Faidiay 4 11/12
Amelia Faidiay 3 8/12
Emma Faidiay 5/12

The census indicates both John and Agnes arr 1894 and were Naturalized as US Citizens in 1903 The first two children are shown as being born in Utah. They were living at 111 Harrison St. The census says he was from Loeben which is now Scavnica, Slovenia. John worked for a gold min

1930 census has the name spelled as FAIDAGE living at W 2nd St Leadville however this time John's immigration year is shown as 1903 and Agnes (which may have been Agnezia or Neza in Slovenia) as 1906 both Naturalized.. FYI prior to 1922 any man becoming a US Citzen meant that his wife and any minor children were also made US Citizens. John was working for a metal mine

1910 US Census shows them listed as FEDIGIA living at Winter Quarters, Carbon, Utah immigration years are different again... and this time they are aliens. If you can located the county where John was made a US Citizen perhaps the local archives, county courthouse or library in that county may have his paperwork which may show the village he was from.

Well... I searched for your GM but could not find anything close except... Neza PAVLIN arr Ellis Is 1906 age 20 single former residence Vas Verblien (sp? maybe this is Vrbljene about 7 miles from Ljubljana) destination to sister Johanna KOLENC at Leadville CO

There is a very dedicated group of Slovenian genealogists in Colorado... and they may know of your names.

http://www.sloveniangenealogy.org/html/colorado_chapter.html

In 1912 a Rev. Trunk went traveled throughout the US and recorded info about Slovene communities inc Winter Quarters and Leadville, you may find his writings of interest.

http://feefhs.org/slovenia/sidb1/trunki.html

Robert Jerin
Croatian Heritage Museum
Cleveland Ohio

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Robert Luxa 27 Oct 2003 5:34PM GMT 
theresa_e_sil... 21 Feb 2004 5:50PM GMT 
kathywieland 21 Feb 2007 8:58PM GMT 
robersonbonit... 30 Apr 2012 6:15AM GMT 
rebeccaehalt 6 Jan 2009 3:01PM GMT 
theresa_e_sil... 13 Nov 2012 4:28PM GMT 
JKSullivan45 4 Aug 2007 11:05PM GMT 
Robert Jerin 5 Aug 2007 9:11PM GMT 
WilliamJMegle... 6 Aug 2007 5:53PM GMT 
JKSullivan45 6 Aug 2007 6:16PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions