Search for content in message boards

Surname--Drozdak, Drosdak

Replies: 32

Re: Surname--Drozdak, Drosdak

Posted: 25 Jun 2012 9:35AM GMT
Classification: Query
Gina,

No, I was not at Irene's funeral. I do believe, however, that there is a connection from Irene to my grandfather MICHAEL TYAHLA/TAHLA (I have documents with both spellings).

From my research on ancestry.com I have traced the timeline of my grandfather's life from his birth (1875 Hungary), emigration (1893), Passaic NJ residence (1900), military service (1901-04 Philippines), and marriage (1 May 1904 Passaic NJ) to my grandmother HERMINA BLASKO, but then his trail seems to turn to Pennsylvania. U.S. Federal Census records and other documents show him living in places like Nesquehoning, Shamokin, So. Bethlehem, and Port Carbon PA.

The mystery is that, while my grandmother referred to herself as a widow and remained in Passaic NJ all her life until her death in 1956, my grandfather appears to have been very much alive--possibly remarrying and living in PA with second-wife Mary and daughter Anna. Quite a fascinating turn of events for me to find out (and hopefully confirm), but a possible explanation of why my father was reluctant to talk about my "deceased" grandpa! The story was that my grandfather went off to war (Spanish-American) and "never returned." Obviously, something else (divorce?) happened that no one wanted to discuss (the tight lip most likely due to my ancestors' Byzantine Catholic background).

My ancestry.com research also turned up Anna's obituary, and I was astounded to read the following line in it: "Born in Passaic NJ, she was a daughter of the late Michael and Mary Tahla." I especially tuned in on "a daughter." Besides my father (George), Michael also had a daughter (Frances) from his marriage to my grandmother.

All of which is to ask, do you have any info about MARY TAHLA and ANNA TAHLA DROZDAK--i.e., can you help me confirm further my supposition that my grandfather Michael Tyahla/Tahla had a second wife Mary, with whom he had a daughter Anna? Please don't hesitate to ask me any questions you may have!

Thanks in advance,
jt

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jtpeck15 25 Jun 2012 3:35PM GMT 
rtyahla867 12 May 2013 6:48AM GMT 
jtpeck15 25 Jun 2012 4:06PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions