Search for content in message boards

Mary Gabrenja

Replies: 7

Re: Mary Gabrenja

Posted: 16 Oct 2012 9:19AM GMT
Classification: Query
Thank you. If this is the one you emailed me about I don't believe it is the one I am looking for. I apologize. I should have clarified that John (or Janez as it may certainly be) was born about 1860 and died about 1916 shortly after the birth of his youngest daughter.
Mary (or Marija) married John Hribernik before 1919 since she is listed on his WWI draft card as his wife.

I found out the following last night:
Mary's (Marija)grandfather was a stone mason.

Their village burned down by a cow kicking over a light. Other nations helped to rebuild the village which is where Mary's grandfather got the money to rebuild. I don't know if the village burned while Mary lived there or before her birth.

There was an inn nearby the village where Mary and her sisters worked. This is where John Swigle probably saw her for the first time. Their marriage was arranged. John was in America (Pennsylvania) prior to their marriage. I don't know when he first came over. My aunt assumes he went back to find a wife and bring her back to America with him.

John Swige and Mary landed in New York between 1900 and 1906. My aunt says that many people died of a sickness on the trip. They were in Pennsylvania by 1907. They lived near Harrisburg.

As I continue to read and re-read my aunt's memoirs I may find more evidence, but most of it is when she was growing up in Trinidad, CO.

Thanks in advance.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
swiftam 5 Oct 2012 3:09AM GMT 
grosrok 6 Oct 2012 11:42AM GMT 
swiftam 16 Oct 2012 3:19PM GMT 
grosrok 16 Oct 2012 4:13PM GMT 
swiftam 16 Oct 2012 5:04PM GMT 
grosrok 17 Oct 2012 3:13PM GMT 
Tina_PS 6 Oct 2012 11:10PM GMT 
swiftam 16 Oct 2012 3:24PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions