Search for content in message boards

Locating a village

Replies: 5

Locating a village

Posted: 13 Oct 2013 10:33AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gregorcic / Grm
I'm confused about the village my family is from. I know they are Slovenian. I have one record for my great grandmother Josefina Gregorcic that says she was born in Bela Cerkev, Yugoslavia in 1891. I also have a passenger list from 1908 that states she was a Slovenian resident of Weisskirchen 12 of Austria. When I look for the town of Weisskirchen, it says it can translate to the town of Bela Crvka in Serbia. It doesn't look like the same town. This is where I am confused. The spellings are so close and I'm not too familiar with the history or geography of the area.

Josephina was the daughter of Frank and Maria Grm. Her siblings I have found are Valentine, Louis(Alois), Agnes, Rose, and Teresa. Possibly a brother Frank as well, but I have yet to confirm.

When I look at passenger lists for the siblings of Josefina, I see a residence of Druzinska Vas 22, Bela Cerka. I have learned that Druzinska Vas is an area in Bela Cerkev in Slovenia, not Serbia. I also see the village of Geinsindorf and Rakevnik, I assume both are misspellings. A misspelling of what, I can not figure out. Any suggestions of what towns they may be in Slovenia? The passenger lists cover the time period of 1903-1910,all settling in Ohio, if that helps any.

Can anyone help me figured out which town Josefina maybe from and where I maybe able to move forward? Is it Bela Cerkev or Bela Crkva? Are these towns connected somehow or near each other? Are the records for either town available online?

I would appreciate any help you could provide. Thank you.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
LSmithPA 13 Oct 2013 4:33PM GMT 
cholab 13 Oct 2013 6:29PM GMT 
LSmithPA 13 Oct 2013 6:39PM GMT 
plonkab 13 Oct 2013 7:03PM GMT 
plonkab 13 Oct 2013 7:25PM GMT 
LSmithPA 13 Oct 2013 9:26PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic