Search for content in message boards

Family from Vinica

Replies: 23

Mihelic (and alternate spellings) from Slov./Croat. border area....

Mary Jakimier (View posts)
Posted: 6 Mar 2001 5:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Mihelsic, Mihelic, Mihelcic, Lazar, Demshar, Demsar, Demser, Demsher, Tusare, Tushare
Wow! How nice to hear from you. (I actually have a cousin, age nearly 30, who is a David Mihelsic.)

Anyway, here is what my family looks like:

1. My maternal Grandmother (Mary Lazar Mihelsic, b. 1/31/1918) married Leo Mihelsic (changed from Mihelcic, b. 7/24/1911).

2. Siblings to Leo Mihelsic were Mary, Stevana and George.

3. Parents of Leo Mihelsic were Mary Malnar and Steven Mihelcic.

4. Mary Malnar was from either Mrzla Vodica or Crni Lug, Croatia (both are very small towns near Lokve which is just a bit east of present-day Rijeka). Her parents were Simon (or maybe Samuel) and Ursula Rauker. Her siblings: Pauline (Pepa), Margaret (Meta), Ludvic (Luke), Frances (Frana), and John Daniel (he is the only sibling we KNOW of who came to the USA, too; both he and his sister Mary Malnar settled in the Springfield, IL area (central IL)).

5. Steven Mihelcic was from Lokve, Croatia. He had 1 sister (name unknown) and a brother, William (who also came to the USA). Steven and William immigrated to the US about 1890 or so; they traveled/lived in Wyoming, Michigan and central IL, finally settling in the greater Springfield, IL area.

6. I know that my maternal Grandfather, Leo Mihelsic's brother George's middle name was Matthew (George Matthew Mihelsic), but I don't know where the Matthew comes from. It is VERY possible it was George's father's (Steven) brother's name (the only brother I know of for sure is William because I know he came to the US and I know his descendants in Springfield, IL). I would think it strage that Steven and William were the only brothers and had only 1 sister (whose name I don't know); families were usually much larger than this then.

7. So, although I would love to find a connection, unless you know any more at this point, we may be out of luck for the moment -- until we find more info.

Have you done much research in the Skofja Loka area? Have you ever visited? I visited my maternal Grandmother's family in Skofja Loka in 1995 (Lazar, descendants on her father's side -- her father was John Lazar, married to Mary Demsar Lazar). John Lazar was the son of Mary Turcek and Matiose/Matevi Lazar, and was from the Idrija/Vrsnik area which is south and west of Skofja Loka. Mary Demsar Lazar was the daughter of Agnes Tusare and John Demsar, and was from the Skofja Loka area. I know Mary had at least 1 siser named Frances, and I know there were other sisters and brothers but I don't know their names. Mary was the youngest of about 7-9 children and her parents died when she was young. She went to live with her eldest brother in Skofja Loka and, I believe, met her husband, John Demsar, there.

My husband and I have been planning a return trip for this year but are now 5 1/2 months pregnant with our first child so don't think we'll go this year. I am not in direct contact with my Mihlesic family in Lokve, Crni Lug and Mrzla Vodica but know they exist (and was planning to visit them during the same trip this year) and am in the process of translating a lot of my info. into Croatian and sending it to suspected family in all 3 villages. We'll see what response(s) I receive.

If you've done research in Slovenia or Croatia, I'd love to hear about it. I'll keep you in mind as my research continues. You're welcome to email me directly at: JAKIMIER@FWBC.COM Happy hunting and thanks again for writing Would be happy to hear more from you.

Mary
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
glgarlock 7 Nov 2013 12:28PM GMT 
david mihelic 3 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT 
Mary Jakimier 6 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT 
alenka_dunja 26 Jul 2013 11:28AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic