Search for content in message boards

Weintraube, Khotyn

Replies: 0

Weintraube, Khotyn

Posted: 12 Oct 2013 7:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Weintraube
My great grandfather, Wladimir (or Waldemar) Mikhailovich Weintraube, was born in Khotyn 1884.
We do not have any papers on his parents, only what has been orally passed down;
His father was named Mikhail Weintraube, and he was married to Katarina (born Mallinovskaja). They had 13 children, all born in Khotyn (names unknown). The word goes that he was of austrian decent.

I have been searching high and low for "Weintraube" in "Khotyn" (with various spellings) (mainly on jewishgen.org and Ancestry.com) and only got 1 hit: a Mikhail Veintraub on a Duma Voter List in 1906. Apart from that, no evidence that the family ever existed.
Can that be?
The name suggests a jewish heritage, but we do not know.

Does anybody have any ideas where I can find information? Any kind of information.

Also, does anybody know about the name Weintraube? There are several variations which makes the search rather difficult (91000 hits). It seems to me that I have to search on them all, as original files can say "Weintraube" whereas the database writes eg "Veintraub", or the most frequent "Weintraub". How do I find out which name is the original name in history? I am thinking it might be possible to restrict the search to certain geographical areas if for instance it is established that "Weintraube" originates from a certain place. But perhaps that is a longshot...

I keep my fingers crossed in the hope of receiving some guidance

Natascha

Find a board about a specific topic