Search for content in message boards

Need help with ancestors from Ukraine.

Replies: 3

Need help with ancestors from Ukraine.

Posted: 14 Mar 2014 7:02AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Mar 2014 7:12AM GMT
Surnames: Butuk, Kantymir, Czerny, Cherney,Chikosky
First i would like to start with my great great grandmother ( Doreen Anne Chikosky (( My 2nd Great Grandmother )) Born; 1893 in Буковина ( German Bukovyna ), Чернівецька область, ( now ) Україна // Österreichisch-Ungarische Monarchie // Austro-Hungarian Empire. I do not know where in Bukovinya she was born, she married my great great grandfather ( Eli Butuk (( My 2nd Great Grandfather )) B: 1884 ( thats all i know ) ). I had one person tell me that ( Butuk is a Romanian surname Butuc ) And i know Bukovina was Ukrainian // Romanian, but i think my ancestors lived in the Ukrainian side but i am not 100% sure.

From all of my research i know my mother side and father side of the family came from the same country and the same region in Ukraine.

I am also trying to find information on Gowrylo Kantymir (( My 3rd Great Grandfather )) Born in 1857 in the Буковина,Кіцмань // Bukovina, Kitzman (( Kotzman, Kotzmann - German (Austrian) name used in 1772 - 1918, during Austrian empire rule in west Ukraine (Galicia, Transcarpathia and Bukovina )) married to Maria Kromaruk (( My 3rd Great Grandmother )) who left Ukraine in April of 1897, along with their 4 children, Sophie, Levan, Semion and Danylo (sp). They arrived in Canada in Halifax on April 30, 1897 then on to Winnipeg, Manitoba and they settled in Stuartburn, Manitoba. Gowrylo passed away shortly after their arrival on April 12, 1907 so he never had the chance to see how his family grew to what is our family today.

As you can see it was a bit of a surprise to find out both sides of my family came from the same region same country, and bothsides immigrated to the same country and same region of Canada where years years years later my mom and father met and had me.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Micheal Batui... 14 Mar 2014 1:02PM GMT 
rwf_TO 16 Mar 2014 1:42AM GMT 
Micheal Batui... 20 Mar 2014 6:03PM GMT 
rwf_TO 21 Mar 2014 2:54AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic