Search for content in message boards

surnames - taciuk, yaremchuk - Ukraine to Thunder Bay Ont Canada

Replies: 22

Re: surnames - taciuk, yaremchuk - Ukraine to Thunder Bay Ont Canada

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 10:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Sczyrbonek, Scherbonek, Scherbanik, Sterbonic, Stevonek, Tscherbonik, Kozla, Sawicki, Taciuk
Hello,

This is the first time I've posted on a message board and I am writing through my husbands ancestry account name, but
I believe we might have some family connections and would like to figure out some family mysteries. Also, my big quest is to find a picture of my great grandmother for my 97 year old grandmother who has never scene even a picture of her mother as she died shortly after her birth.
Here's what I have and why I believe there is a connection:
My great-grandfather is John Alex Scherbonek (could also be spelled Scherbonek, Scherbanik, Sterbonic, Stevonek, Tscherbonik by other family members)Born in Potoczyska 1870, died 1922 WI, USA
Married to
Mary Kozla (Mary or Marya)
Born in Potoczyska 1872, died 1915 WI, USA
My grandmother, Sophie Sawicki, was the last child born to Mary Kozla Scherbanik in 1915, when Sophie was just 3 weeks old.
Mary Kozla was the 1/2 sister to Anastasia Kozla who married a Hawrulo Harasym in Canada. I saw a marriage cert. that said Anastasia's parents were Dmytro Kozla and Marya Fedak...since they were 1/2 sisters I believe that Dmytro would be Mary's father, but Marya Fedak would not be her mother (I guess).
Mary Kozla arrived in the US I think in 1905 after her husband John arrived around 1900; she came with 3 children Anna, Alex and Fred Sczyrbonek.
Now, years later my grandmother, Sophie Sawicki b. 1915, married Leo Sawicki (subsequently also my fathers name) whose parents were John Egan Sawicki 1883-1950 and Mary Halavarich (Halarcnicz) 1888ish-1959. John and Mary Sawicki lived with a man named Alex Taciuk from what I can tell from at least 1910 in Chicago to the last census in 1940 in St. Paul, MN. Alex was single, I think, until the last census in 1940 when a wife named "Anna" is listed. My dad always called this man (Alex Taciuk) "wee-ko" or "vee-ko" and he was basically part of the Sawicki family. When I started doing some research for my father I found out that the Taciuk name is found in the same village as the Sczyrbonek family….the small village of Potoczyska in the Ukriane. I really wondered if there was more of a family connection?
Any insight or connection to any of the information? Bottom line is I would love to find out more information on the Sczyrbonek and Kozla families. How were they connected to the Sawicki’s. but most of all I would LOVE to find any photograph of Marya Kozla (Mary Scherbanik) for my grandmother.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
lorsyl2 19 Feb 2012 6:44PM GMT 
gregganderson... 7 Jan 2013 5:44AM GMT 
ZlaticaBeca 4 Aug 2009 1:36PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions