Search for content in message boards

Hawrylo Oritsky/ Uritsky/Oritzky and Uricky of galicia

Replies: 22

Hawrylo Oritsky/ Uritsky/Oritzky and Uricky of galicia

Posted: 18 Dec 2012 7:31AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Oritsky/ Uritsky/Oritzky and Uricky
Hi Everyone, I am still trying to discover where in Galicia my great grandparents came from.
Hawrylo and his wife Wasylina Elizabeth Tokozryk emigrated from galicia to Rosthern in Saskatchewan in 1898. I have found the various census and homestead records for them.

My grandfather changed his name and he always said that he was Polish but only yesterday I discovered thanks to probate papers put online by the LDS that after Hawrylo died intestate,some documentation stated that their legal representative explained it all to his wife in UKRAINIAN and that she understood it all etc.

Now I have a source from a book on the Rosthern area that mentions my gr grandfathers name as being amongst a group of people who came from the Ukraine (see below) so I did wonder if my grandfather was telling tales so to speak as other aspects of his accounts are not correct.

This may be a stupid question but just how similiar are Ukrainian and Polish as languages and if she was Polish could she understand Ukrainian enough to get by?

I also discovered yesterday that she was my grandfathers step mother not mother according to the docs so it is possible that she was Ukrainian and her husband and his children were Polish?

Once again , there doesn't seem to be any usual way to spell this last name,. The first legal papers had the name spelled Uricky and the U was corrected in a number of occasions from O and yet a couple of years later in more legal paperwork the name was spelled Oritzky.

Anyone here searching for any of the names listed in the Rosthern history book "Old & new furrows : the story of Rosthern " p289 Rosthern Historical Society??? http://www.ourroots.ca/e/page.aspx?id=2883741

I realize that this is all sort of vague but any ideas would be appreciated. I understand that Galicia covered parts of Poland and the Ukraine.
bye for now- kim

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
KSChamberlain 18 Dec 2012 2:31PM GMT 
ZlaticaBeca 18 Dec 2012 5:01PM GMT 
ZlaticaBeca 18 Dec 2012 5:38PM GMT 
KSChamberlain 20 Dec 2012 10:00AM GMT 
ZlaticaBeca 20 Dec 2012 1:43PM GMT 
Mighthelp 19 Dec 2012 8:38PM GMT 
KSChamberlain 20 Dec 2012 10:23AM GMT 
Mighthelp 20 Dec 2012 3:44PM GMT 
KSChamberlain 28 Dec 2012 12:00PM GMT 
chrystynakell... 3 Jan 2013 4:07AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions