Search for content in message boards

Huywen surname?

Replies: 14

Re: Huywen surname?

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 9:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Jan 2013 12:25PM GMT

Problems: Size of the territory, illiteracy of Immigrant Ancestor, and surname w/sibilant sounds.

The Kyevskaya gubernia/region > Southern Czarist Russia was much larger than the Kyivska oblast/region of today. During WW2 many villages w/their entire populations were wiped out and no longer exist. Kyiv was/is abutted on the east side of the Dniepro River by the Chernigov (today Chernihiv) and Poltava gubernias.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ru/8/8c/Kievskaya_gube...

??????
I haven't found anything that looks close to selo/village Kopcie in any of the regions above. BUT I also checked the Old Vohlynskaya gubernia, since it too was in Czarist Russia when Grandfather was emigrating, and found a hamlet of 273 people called Kobche (Кобче) today > Rozhyschenskij raion/district > Vohlynska oblast/region. During the Interwar Period (1921-1938) this region came under Reconstituted Poland's domain and was called KOPSCZE > Rozyszcze > Luck. I also found a village Kopyle (under Poland) > next door to Kolky > Luck/Lutsk (probably in Rivnenska oblast today - Old Vohlyn was broken up by Poles and Soviets into smaller regions).

What I will suggest to you is that you contact Andriy Dorosh, a Vohlynian (from town Volodymir-Volynskij) local, whom I call Vohlynian Sherlock Holmes. He is very smart and very good at these kinds of searches. His rates are very fair, but most importantly he is very persistent. He is multilingual, including Russian, Polish, Ukrainian and English. He has a computer and a very comfortable vehicle, when/if you decide to come to Ukraine and visit. dorosh.andriy@yahoo.com

======================================================
Have you checked following?

The Likacheff-Ragosine-Mathers (LI-RA-MA) collection (MG 30 E406) consists of documents created by the Imperial Russian Consular offices in Canada during the period from 1898 to 1922. The Passport/Identity Papers series consists of about 11,400 files on Russian immigrants from the Imperial Russian Empire who settled in Canada, including Jews, Ukrainians and Finns.
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/022/022-908.008-e.html
------------------------------------------------------

Then again, who knows what "around Kiev" really meant to him?

He is not the first that I have encountered, who told his children he was from around Kyiv. He was providing his family w/a reference point on a world map. There was no such geopolitical entity as Ukraine on any map and he wanted his descendants to know what his roots were. Pradeedo Wasyl may have been an illiterate man, but he was not a stupid one.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ZlaticaBeca 8 Jan 2013 4:11AM GMT 
bethknazook 8 Jan 2013 4:20AM GMT 
ZlaticaBeca 8 Jan 2013 5:05AM GMT 
Mighthelp 8 Jan 2013 4:42PM GMT 
ZlaticaBeca 7 Jan 2013 9:51PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic