Search for content in message boards

Mazur-Nicolak/Nicolyuk/Nykoluk

Replies: 9

Mazur-Nicolak/Nicolyuk/Nykoluk

Posted: 13 Nov 2013 9:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Mazur, Nicolak, Nicolyuk, Nykoluk
Hi,
I've started my family tree and I am running into roadblocks on my Ukrainian Great Grandparents who both immigrated to Canada from the Ukraine. They were both illiterate so there are no family records. Here is what my mother remembers:

Stefanie (Stefania) Mazur:
My Great Grandmother’s father died and her mother remarried to a man whose last name Anglicised is Christie. Then her mother died. It may have been during the war that Stefanie immigrated to Canada (possibly at age 11). She came to Canada with an Aunt (possibly maternal). We think her name may have been Vasylyna. Mom was told that the immigration point was Montreal. She worked as a servant in a house with her Aunt (also worked as a servant). The family was not nice to her and at 16 she ran away with a girlfriend to Toronto. She worked as a housekeeper cleaning CN trains. Her half-brother’s name was Peter (Petro) Christie and he was younger than her. He was born in the Ukraine, not sure when he immigrated and died in Canada about 1968-1971. My Grandfather (also named Peter) was her third child, born in 1923. I have a possible birth record for a Stefania Mazur born in Lviv in 1897. Which would place her immigration around 1908.

John Nicolak:
My Great Grandfather immigrated possibly at age 16 from the Ukraine. Upon arrival, not speaking any English, the record keeper recorded the spelling of his last name as Nicolak but my mother was told that it was originally Nicolyuk (sp?). It is believed that he came over with his brother Frank and his half-brother William. There were other brothers but Mom doesn't know their names. They may have traveled with their father whose name may have been John or Frank. They settled in Acton, ON, Canada.

John Nicolak and Stefanie Mazur met through the Ukrainian community, married and had six children: Andrew, Ann, Peter (born 1923), Sophia, Steve and Mary. They both died in Toronto, ON, Canada.

Any help that could be provided would be wonderful and greatly appreciated!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
lauradiebolt 14 Nov 2013 4:57AM GMT 
ZlaticaBeca 14 Nov 2013 5:41AM GMT 
lauradiebolt 14 Nov 2013 6:25AM GMT 
ZlaticaBeca 14 Nov 2013 3:21PM GMT 
lauradiebolt 15 Nov 2013 12:03AM GMT 
Mighthelp 15 Nov 2013 7:12PM GMT 
lauradiebolt 16 Nov 2013 4:20AM GMT 
Mighthelp 25 Nov 2013 7:00PM GMT 
lauradiebolt 28 Nov 2013 9:39PM GMT 
lauradiebolt 28 Nov 2013 10:00PM GMT 
per page