Search for content in message boards

Ancestors from Elizabetgrad?

Replies: 2

Ancestors from Elizabetgrad?

Posted: 18 Jan 2011 4:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
We are a group of about 30 people with ancestors who lived in Elizabetgrad who would like to connect with others. If you would like to be included please email me at Oleander831@yahoo.com and if you send me the list of names you are researching, I will email you the list of names being researched by folks who subscribe to jewishgen.org (and their email addresses) who responded to an email asking if we would like to form a group that might meet at next summer's IAJGS convention in Washington DC. Even if you have no plans to go, this list might put you in touch with folks researching the same people as you are. It has already helped me.

Two years ago I knew nothing about my family. I didn't even know they came from Elizabetgrad. I've since found that my mother's grandfather's family (and his 4 brothers and all their children, some of whom were already married) came from Elizabetgrad in the late 1880's and early 1890's to New Haven CT but came through Castle Garden as well as Ellis Island. They all used different names at different times both in Elizabetgrad and in the US and even different names on the ships' manifests- not just different spellings but really different names. The names included Chesna, Chirkes, Charkas, Goldblatt, Lear, Itzigson,Saxon, Beker, Baker and all variations in spelling of these names. How did I find them? I started by using the two week free trial at ancestry.com. I looked at the message boards there and on jewishgen.org and found possible relatives who did indeed turn out to be related. I also looked up the both the town they came FROM and the town they came TO on the message boards. I used stevenmorse.org to help find how they got here. I published what I had on both ancestry.com and rootsweb. I also subscribed to the relevant digests on jewishgen. So, don't give up if you've reached a brick wall. A surprising amount of info is out there and some wonderful people who offer help.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
oleander831 18 Jan 2011 11:56PM GMT 
kverlaque 26 Apr 2011 9:56PM GMT 
JKAPULSKI42N 14 Jun 2012 3:01PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions