Search for content in message boards

Bershadskis in Stavishche around 1900

Replies: 2

Bershadskis in Stavishche around 1900

Posted: 11 Nov 2013 10:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bershadsky, Morris, Schoolbarg, Tanniapolsky
My great great grandfather (David Morris b.1860) moved his family from Stavische, Ukraine to Scotland around 1900. My great great grandmother's name was Rachel Bershadski (b.1860). I also have their parents names (Dove Morris & Rachel Tanniapolsky, Nathan Bershadsky (b.1840) & Nachlie Shapiro). Their census and naturalisation papers confirm they were born in Stavische, Ukraine

Nathan Bershadsky brought his second wife, Rachel Schoolbarg, and two sons from that marriage Shimon/Samuel (b.1891) and Barnet(b.1893) to Scotland sometime before the 1911 census. Nathan's parents were listed as Zeliate Barnes and Bella Cohen on his death certificate.

My first question is, does anyone know anything about the Bershadsky family living in Satvishche, Ukraine around the end of the 19th century? I know there were some caught up in the troubles following the revolution, and then the holocaust, but I'm seeing if there's information around for looking further back?

My second question is, just on the off chance the above people fit neatly in to someone's family tree, does anyone have an idea what, "Morris", was before it was anglicised? Every certificate I've got says Morris.

One last point, they were Jewish, but JewishGen hasn't been any help in this case. Does anyone know any other avenues for researching Jewish ancestry?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Stuart Morris 12 Nov 2013 5:11AM GMT 
Mighthelp 12 Nov 2013 9:02PM GMT 
Stuart Morris 13 Nov 2013 3:48AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions