VOLKOVICH/BALBER

Replies: 1

VOLKOVICH/BALBER

L.B. Walker (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jul 2000 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 Dec 2012 8:48AM GMT
Surnames: VOLKOVICH, BALBER
I am searching for descendants of my grandparents siblings.

My grandparents were Avrum VOLKOVICH and Elka Benyominovna BALBER (sounds like Bullbeer). Avrum was a jeweler/goldsmith with a factory in Odessa. He and my grandmother often travelled to see merchants in Belguim and France. The children went to school at the gymnasium. The family was evicted from their Odessa home during the revolution and moved to an apartment block on or near a street called "Kanut", perhaps Kanatnaia. I have been told that their
original home now houses an embassy or government office. At one time after the revolution the family manufactured buckles for military uniforms. There were 8 children who immigrated to Canada between 1924 and 1928 - Berta(b1900), Benjamin (b1902), Clara (b1906),Gitel(b1908), Reisel(b1909), Grisha (b1911), Lenivia (b1914), Liouissia (b1919).

Avrum had a brother, also a jeweler married Elkas twin sister. The children of that family were Benjamin, Morris, Joe, Sonia and Esther immigrated to Canada and the US.

I am aware of another brother whose children or grandchildren (an engineer and a nurse) immigrated from Russia to Rehovot Israel in the 1960's -1970's.

I do not know where the Volkovich family originated or how long they lived in Odessa, only that the grandmother, my great grandmother, had to travel by train to visit. My grandmother, Elka was born in Kishinev 1879. Her parents were Benyamin BALBER and Gitel.

I'm eager to identify any existing family. Any information or suggestions would be appreciated. Please contact me at greystoke@attcanada.ca

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
L.B. Walker 15 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT 
RedRibbons43 4 Dec 2012 12:00AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic