Search for content in message boards

Schillers (Lutheran) in Lutsk?

Replies: 1

Schillers (Lutheran) in Lutsk?

Posted: 27 Jul 2012 10:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Jul 2012 8:31PM GMT
Surnames: Schiller Maier Janott Hoffmann
Looking for some information about my great-grandfather and his family, if anyone can help.

The situation is that according to the limited, "three generations removed from the source" information that we had, the family was from "Gruec, Kalisz" in Poland, but that's always proven a total dead end for research. I've always suspected that I should look in Galicia or Volhynia instead of Poznan -- Kalisz confused with Halicz? We all know how reliable immigration documents are! -- but I've never really had much concrete information to narrow that down.

However, I now have a copy of some of my great-grandfather's Canadian citizenship documents -- and indeed, in them he identifies himself as being from Volhynia, specifically in or near Lutsk.

My great-grandfather was Edward SCHILLER, born in 1885. His father's name was Christian; we believe his mother's name was Christine JANOTT. Edward was married to Christine (or Christina) MAIER.

According to the information we had, his siblings were named Paul, George, Gottlieb, Emilia and Alma -- but the citizenship document also seems to suggest a brother named William, whom nobody who's still alive today has ever heard of, as well as suggesting that George's name might have been spelled Jorg.

Edward and Christine moved to Canada in 1913. Paul and George/Jorg either came with them or followed soon after, but after staying with Edward and Christine for a short time they crossed the border into the United States. We have a document that places a Paul Schiller as entering the US from Canada around the right time and at the right border crossing, but it also mentions a wife we know nothing of; we have yet to find any documentation for George's crossing. Unfortunately, both brothers lost contact with Edward during the war and were never heard from again before Edward's death in 1965.

Emilia and Alma reportedly married a pair of brothers named HOFFMAN.

(Geographic assistance no longer needed; I've identified the "Shwin" in question as Shchuryn, as it was written as "Shurin" on the document.)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
craigbear 28 Jul 2012 4:59AM GMT 
ZlaticaBeca 28 Jul 2012 3:04PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic