Search for content in message boards

looking for Thibault, Vaillant, Deschanes w/ poss Métis connection 1840-60s

Replies: 0

looking for Thibault, Vaillant, Deschanes w/ poss Métis connection 1840-60s

Posted: 22 May 2012 1:14AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Thibault, Vaillant, Deschanes
Years ago I was contacted by my cousin Aurora for information about our Thibault family line in hopes to find more on where our Joseph Thibault and Teoma Vaillant came from. This is what she gave me to go on. There are some comments of mine in (...)

Hello Clarissa,

When my father passed away, I found a note book with notes he had taken from Granma Emilia. It was a translation from French to English.
Sister Amalia Marie Thibault born 1857, Sister Charlotte Paulett Thibault Born 1844, mother Margarite Deschaies. (Deschenes?) (Info from Joseph Thibault??)

My mother Teoma Vaillant was from Fort Edmonton. My mother a Mestis Algonquian & French. Grandmother Tomasita Or Teoma from the picture looks native American. One other note states that Gradmother Emilia spoke fluent French.

She states that her Grandfather was very kind and sang a French songs. She called him Pappie Josette. Maybe the name was Joseph. Fort Edmonton is in Canada. My mother Teoma worked at the Fort store and also spoke Spanish, my father spoke French and English. Mother was very sad missed her family. Mother had a brother in new mexico. (To note: Her brother settled in the Socorro, NM area and his family went by Tibo.)

My Father wrote & took notes as his Grandmother spoke. Does any of this ring a bell. The date my Father wrote this in the journal was 12/27/1934. I haven't made any connections on the Canadian web, lots of Thibaults, some of them left the Catholic Church and were driven out of Canada to New England were they became either Baptists or Presbyterian a modified form of Calvinism. That may be the reason I am having the problem with finding records.....
>>>>>>

The time period was the 1840s to the 1860s. The names are Joseph Thibault, Teoma or Tomasita Vaillant(possibly Métis/French)who worked at a store at Fort Edmonton/ Fort-des-Prairies; Sister Amalia Marie Thibault born 1857, Sister Charlotte Paulett Thibault Born 1844, mother Margarite Deschaies/Deschanes. I wonder if there is a Lac Ste. Anne connection and whether Joseph Thibault was related to Fr. Jean-Baptiste Thibault.

Joseph and Teoma ended up in New Mexico by the 1870s. They were my ancestors as well. A family member still has the portraits of Joseph and Teoma.

Any information on them would be extremely appreciated.

Meegwetch!

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions