Search for content in message boards

Bryant family and Ovens in Medicine Hat from 1912

Replies: 2

Bryant family and Ovens in Medicine Hat from 1912

Posted: 5 May 2012 8:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bryant, Ovens
I'm hoping to find out more about my Bryant family line. They moved from Montana to Medicine Hat, Alberta in 1912. They had previously lived in Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas, and perhaps a very short time in California when they first married.

My Great Grandfather was William Cullen "George" Bryant who seemed to go by George. His wife was Hattie Jasper. They had children: Leila May Bryant; Earl Marion Bryant; my Grandmother Modesta Minnie Bryant; Ruby Delyla Bryant; Herschel Newton Bryant; William Cullen Bryant Jr; and Harold Gordon Bryant.

I believe they raised horses, and my understanding is some were involved with rodeo.

Today, I saw a listing at findagrave.com for George Bryant who died February 27, 1921 (cemetery listing shows Feb 27, and I show Feb 20, but not sure where I got that?) who was my G Grandfather, and a listing for a William Cullen Bryant who must have been Jr who died July 11, 1985. These were for Hillside Cemetery in Medicine Hat.

I've seen references to online listings for the cemetery, but they are bad links. I wonder if anyone would know if Hattie (Jasper) Bryant is at that cemetery? She may have died October 18, 1936, but I don't know where for sure (I thought likely Medicine Hat)?

I was hoping to find obituaries for William Cullen (George) Bryant who died in 1921, and Hattie Jasper Bryant who died in 1936.

Would be interested in knowing more about the Bryant family in Medicine Hat, if anyone could share more.

Medicine Hat is were my Grandparent's met. My Grandfather, Thomas Wilfred Ovens, owned the Sourthern Alberta Business College (not sure if he renamed it or not?). I think he was probably in Medicine Hat by about 1912. My Grandmother was a student at the college and also became a teacher there. My Grandfather had earlier owned Business Colleges in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Idaho and Montana, and had taught at schools in Missouri and Ontario. My Grandparent's probably left Medicine Hat by 1915 or 1916, but Grandma's parent's and siblings remained in the area.

I know Grandma's Brother, Gordon Bryant did a lot of rodeo, and I think some of the other Brothers also were rodeo cowboys.

Thanks so much!! Tom McMillan (Washougal, WA, USA)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
tomwdcraftr 6 May 2012 2:19AM GMT 
ELLinSpain 1 Apr 2013 8:37AM GMT 
tomwdcraftr 1 Apr 2013 9:08PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions