Search for content in message boards

William Nixon living in Gleichen before and after WW1

Replies: 4

William Nixon living in Gleichen before and after WW1

Posted: 27 Feb 2012 4:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Nixon
Hello

I am wondering if anyone can help me find more information about my grandmother's brother, William Henry Nixon?

William was born in Co. Cavan, Ireland on 17 Feb 1890. In 1901 he was living in a Dublin orphange, and the next record I have been able to find for him is his enlistment with the WW1 Canadian Expeditionary Force in Feb 1915. He signed up at Calgary so he must have emigrated to Canada at some point. He served with the 10th Canadian Field Ambulance in France for the remainder of WW1 and was demobilised to Gleichen, Alberta, Canada in Feb 1919. His peace time occupation was recorded as a painter.

According to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, William died on 8 Feb 1921 as a result of his service in WW1 and is buried at Calgary Union Cemetery.

I have received a copy of William's Canadian Military Service Record from Library and Archives Canada. However I am looking for any other information that can help me build more of the story of William's life, particularly his time in Canada before and after WW1. Any help or suggestions of where to look would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards
Anita (New Zealand)

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Anita West 27 Feb 2012 11:14PM GMT 
sstanger1 28 Feb 2012 12:35AM GMT 
Anita West 28 Feb 2012 1:03AM GMT 
sstanger1 28 Feb 2012 2:13AM GMT 
Anita West 28 Feb 2012 5:10AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions