Search for content in message boards

Iroquois Disaster

Replies: 22

"Victoria Times Colonist" story. Islander section, Sunday March 31, 1991; B3

Rocky (View posts)
Posted: 25 Sep 2005 7:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Ian and Diane….

I have scanned the article as I have run out of time to transcribe it. It may have worked out better for us all in the end, as it is a good read. Peter Murray and the Times Colonist are the ones to be praised for the great read.

Please credit Peter Murray and the Victoria Times Colonist for this scan.

Diane…

You will see the surname you had found earlier in this article; Fenwick. Tragic loss touched many I this disaster.

All…

I have scanned the top and bottom of the newspaper article. It will be easier to print up the two (plus image) rather than attempt to read it from the computer screen.

I will look through the shelves and books in my library to see if there is anything of importance to either of you. If there is nothing significant to add I will leave it at this scanned information, as it is the best I have seen.

Kind regards; Rocky Sampson

Note: One of the many reasons why there is such a great span between the numbers who perished in this event is that many of the deaths were hidden. I know for a fact that Native Indians (First Nations people) used this ship and other ferry services throughout the islands (people from Victoria to Nanaimo and beyond). Their tragedies were never recorded by officials and overlooked by many from that era. If they were not a crew member, they had no records of ever being on board. What happened in this era was, Native Indians were placed below decks and locked in the cargo hold with livestock. They paid their passage but were refused basic human rights in all public places and forced out of public eye until quite recently in Canadian history. It is a sad and tragic note to add to an already ill fortuned disaster but it this information is needed as no information has ever been recorded on it.
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
MikeMelen1961 7 Feb 2013 12:56AM GMT 
jlaprise1010 6 Nov 2010 11:23PM GMT 
rbsampson1963 7 Nov 2010 6:25AM GMT 
henryduncan56 29 Nov 2010 9:21PM GMT 
jlaprise1010 1 Jan 2011 11:56PM GMT 
egmonster1 14 Feb 2011 11:46PM GMT 
rdavid14 29 Mar 2011 9:44PM GMT 
jlaprise1010 23 Apr 2011 2:21AM GMT 
Rocky 25 Sep 2005 11:03PM GMT 
Rocky 26 Sep 2005 1:37AM GMT