Search for content in message boards

waldo

Replies: 21
Posted: 26 Jan 2010 8:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Margaret

They could be buried in a number of places. Not sure if you are aware, but Waldo was around until the 1960's when it was demolished due to the building of the Libby Dam in the US. Waldo now sits at the bottom of the reservoir. My mom can remember that they did have to demolish all the buildings prior to the reservoir being filled. What she cannot tell me is if there was a cemetery and what did they do with the remains in the cemetary if it was to be flooded? Did they remove and re-bury the remains in a nearby community? Not sure where you would find the answer to that except possibliy in the BC Provincial Archives maybe. There are three other cemeteries in the area that they may have been buried in (other than Fernie) - Wardner, Jaffray and Elko. I was at the Elko cemetery this past summer and unfortunately there are no records of who is buried there and the cemetery is not in good shape. I have not been to the Jaffray or Wardner cemeteries to see what they are like. You could try the Fernie Cemetery however. The historical society is currently working on the cemetery to bring all the records up to date. The cemetery is called St. Margaret's and you can find it online. There is a search engine, but not sure how much work they have done to say how complete it is. They spent a lot of time mapping it out and were working to identify all the graves. Check out that website and see what you can find. Here is the link -

http://www.fernieheritagecemetery.com/index.php?pclass%5B%5D...=

Lori
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
martinkm166 26 Jan 2010 8:18PM GMT 
loritedrick1 27 Jan 2010 3:04AM GMT 
JudyWasylenko 27 Jan 2010 3:33AM GMT 
Stella_Stange... 27 Jan 2010 7:24AM GMT 
loritedrick1 27 Jan 2010 5:24PM GMT 
Stella_Stange... 27 Jan 2010 7:27PM GMT 
regvolk 6 Apr 2011 3:05PM GMT 
martinkm166 7 Apr 2011 12:58AM GMT 
regvolk 7 Apr 2011 2:00PM GMT