Hello fellow islanders and island researchers,
I am interested in the Hinksman family of Lantzville, starting with William, born November 13th 1841 in Newburgh, Fife, Scotland, son of John and Elspeth (Hutchison) Hinksman, who came to North America in 1870. He married Jane Wiles Jack, daughter of Emanuel AKA Robert Emanuel AKA Bob Wiles. Emanuel was born 1829 in West Stower, Dorset, England, and came to The Island in 1851.
William and Jane had the following children,
John Hinksman, born 1886, died October 7th 1979 in Ladysmith, BC, he married Mary Lindsay Brand on April 29th 1926 in Vancouver, BC. She was born in 1889 in Stirling, Scotland, and died April 11th 1940 in Nanaimo. John married secondly to Hilda Kathleen, she was born about 1891 and died September 26th 1962 in Nanaimo.
Elspeth Hinksman, born January 16th 1888 in Lantzville, died January 30th 1976 in Prince George, BC. She had two children, Solomon and Mildred, with an unknown native man, it is believed they were married, but I'm not completely sure. She later married William James Noble, son of John and Margaret (Donald) Noble. They have one daughter, living. The Nobles' also went by the surname Donald.
William Hinksman, born June 22nd 1891, died June 1st 1941 in Coquitlam, BC. He married Elsie Victoria McInnis on August 27th 1922 in Vancouver BC, they have a living son and a living daughter.
Robert Dunn Hinksman, born 1895, died October 27th 1923 in Nanaimo. He was a logger, and died as the result of being hit by a tree.
David Oliver "Dave" Hinksman, born September 10th 1896 in Nanaimo. He died April 22nd 1947 in Vancouver. According to my grandmother, his grandniece, when he stayed with his sister Elspeth in Burnaby, he complained about having a headache, it is possible he died of a brain hemorrhage.
Annie Hinksman, married Benjamin Franklin Miller on November 15th 1915 in Nanaimo. They had two sons, Robert and David, it is unknown if they are still living.
I am also interested in the Gilson and Neale families of Ladysmith, starting with Matthew Gilson, born May 21st 1891 in Nanaimo, son of John and Sarah Gilson, stepson of Robert Hunter. His daughter Thelma married George William Neale.
And thirdly, I'm interested in the Smillie family, also of Ladysmith, starting with William, born May 9th 1863 in Tarbolton, Ayrshire, Scotland, son of William and Christina (Dickson) Smillie, who married Elizabeth Kerr, born 1873 in Dallmellington, Ayrshire, Scotland, daughter of Adam and Agnes (Graham) Kerr.
William died May 11th 1927 in Ladysmith, Elizabeth died September 19th 1944, also in Ladysmith. They had five children,
1. Agnes Graham Smillie, born 1895 in Stair, Ayrshire, she married William Graham McDicken, her first cousin once removed, they had one known daughter, Elizabeth McDicken, born May 1st 1924 in Scotland.
2. Adam Kerr Smillie, born 1899 in Scotland and died August 29th 1972 in Saanich, BC. He married Jane, born 1902, they had two known sons, William Kerr Smillie, born 1922 in Scotland, died August 20th 1961 in White Rock, BC, and Matthew Smillie, born 1929 in Scotland.
3. Robert "Bob" Smillie, born 1901 in Ayrshire and died 1996 in Ladysmith, he married Gertrude Telford and they had four sons, Robert, William, Thomas "Tommy" Allen, and Gordon Bruce (born 1951 in Chemainus; died March 10th 1969 in Victoria).
4. James "Jim" Kerr Smillie, born 1905 in Ayrshire, he married Patricia Gard on July 25th 1930 in Nanaimo. No further trace.
5. Matthew "Matt" Smillie, born between 1906 and 1915 in Scotland, died circa 1997 in Ladysmith. He married Maxine Mary Murphy, born 1912 in Rossland, BC, daughter of Patrick Dolan AKA Peter Dolan Murphy and Mary (MacDonald) Murphy, died December 18th 1982 in Ladysmith. They had four children, Lorraine, Roderick, Brian, and Richard "Rick"