Search for content in message boards

1899 Journal from Victoria, BC

Replies: 21

1899 Journal from Victoria, BC

laura (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jun 2003 12:40PM GMT
Classification: Query

I have in my posession potocopies of 1899 Journal of Romuald Josef Garmus (my gt gt gfather), who lived in Vancouver, BC, Canada. Romuald was a Russian immigrant to Canada sometime before 1880. His daughters birth certificate states that both Romuald's and his wife, Lucia Hirsch's, parents were born in Russia - Lucia's parents were stated as being of German ancestry.

The journal is written in broken, phonetic english, but once I got an idea of his writing style I was able to read it pretty clearly. Romuald worked for a raftmaking company during the Yukon Gold Rush. His journal mainly details his work life, names the company he worked for, and many of the men he worked with. There are other notations in the journal that mention people he came in contact with: the owner of the local store, the person he rented room and board from since he worked quite a distance from his wife and family, and the name of the doctor who cared for his wife before she passed away.

I have found great pleasure in reading this journal, reliving the life of a man who worked hard for an honest living and cared much for his family. It's been an awesom experience.

What I would like to do over a period of time, is go back through his journal and pick up the names of people and places and post them here on the board. An actual full transcription of the journal would be too lengthly, indeed, but after posting names, I would be more than happy to take queries and transcribe a relevant page or two.

Also, I have been curious if there is a museum or historical society that would be interested in holding a photocopy of Romuald's journal. The original remains (as it should) in the posession of my grandfather.

Please post here, or email to Laurasgene@hotmail.com.

I get notifications of posts to message boards here to my email, so it won't take long for me to reply.

Let me go back to the journal now and start making notes. I believe the location he lived in was Nainimo (spelling?).

I look forward to hearing from you.

Laura
laurasgene@hotmail.com

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
laura 16 Jun 2003 6:40PM GMT 
laura 16 Jun 2003 7:04PM GMT 
lnlinder 16 Jun 2003 8:28PM GMT 
lnlinder 16 Jun 2003 10:27PM GMT 
lnlinder 11 Sep 2009 10:03PM GMT 
joansjoy 19 Jun 2003 4:18AM GMT 
laura 19 Jun 2003 10:17PM GMT 
Rocky 13 Aug 2003 1:10AM GMT