Search for content in message boards

Gilbert surname Cherokee?

Replies: 4

Aborginal or Native American sentiment and the difficultly researching facts

Posted: 11 Oct 2013 11:14AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Oct 2013 6:10PM GMT
Surnames: Veillette/Robitaillle/Magnan/Chaille/Vezina/Perry or Poirier/Boutte
I find it interesting that families do not want to admit to maybe having "aborginal" or "native american" ancestry. My father immigrated from Saint-tite,QC to Maine, our facial features (high cheek bones and the red deep tan and the males with scant chest hair) have always been a question as to if we have indian ancestry but when asked if we did we were always told "NO" and reacted in a way as if how dare you ask or that Indians were somehow "inferior" .. I came across some old black and white photos and my great great grandmother has to be a aborginal or her parents were. I am proud of my Quebec/American ancestry and will be a honor to find the tribe of my ancestors, Isn't that what ancestry is ..finding the truth whether we like the truth or not..Alot of Quebec people do not like to admit to aboriginal ancestry .. I think it is a shame that so many will tell me "STOP LOOKING FOR WHAT IS NOT THERE" sorry but it is.. many of our ancesters that came from France probably could not have survived the harse terrian without the help of the natives..
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
TammyChalut 13 Apr 2005 9:20PM GMT 
Sharyn McGlin... 14 Apr 2005 1:31PM GMT 
dgfim22 20 Apr 2005 4:55PM GMT 
Cathy Veillet... 11 Oct 2013 5:14PM GMT 
sstanger1 11 Oct 2013 6:08PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions