Search for content in message boards

Ruperts Land, St. Peter's, Interlake area, Red River Settlement, Indian Settlement, St. Clements,

Replies: 0

Ruperts Land, St. Peter's, Interlake area, Red River Settlement, Indian Settlement, St. Clements,

Posted: 19 Feb 2001 5:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 11:12AM GMT
Surnames: SMITH, STEVENSON, MASON, BRADBURN, KIPLING, EASTER, HAWKES, SHIELS, WELHAM, CLARK, PARISIEN, MCNAB, KRUGER, COCHRANE
Smith Family History in Manitoba

Surnames: SMITH | STEVENSON | MASON | BRADBURN | STRANGER | EASTER | HAWKES | SHEILS | KIPLING | WELHAM | CLARK/ (?) /(?) / (?)Â….

NOTE: SOME OF THIS INFORMATION MAY BE INCORRECT!!!!!

PS. I am posting BenjaminÂ’s 1st and 3rd wives names because maybe their families may have some pictures, photos or stories about my g-father Benjamin Smith and his family.

My ggg-gfather (I think?) was JACOB SMITH he was married to (?). I have some burial records from St. PeterÂ’s Dynevor Church in St. PeterÂ’s (now known as St. Clements), of a JACOB SMITH who was born on the Indian Settlement. He was buried on the [June15th, 1848] in St. PeterÂ’s at the age of 45 years that would make his birth date around [1803]. I donÂ’t know if this is the right Jacob Smith!

My gg-gparentÂ’s were PETER SMITH m. MARY MCNAB on the 6th of December 1855 in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Peter Smith was b: 1832 in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada then known as Ruperts Land. Mary Mcnab was b: 1809 in Manitoba, Canada d: 15th of September 1897. They had several children their names were:

Please Note: My sister Lynn told me, that we are from the Fisher River Band Reserve and not from the Peguis Band Reserve.

My g-gparentÂ’s BENJAMIN SMITH 2nd married LYDIA STEVENSON [nd]. LydiaÂ’s father was a Chief of the Peguis Indian Reserve (maybe CHIEF THOMAS JOHN STEVENSON c. 1923) b. d. [nd}. Benjamin and Lydia had several children one of which was my g-father GORDON SMITH [d.1980], VICTORIA SMITH-moved to Vancouver BC she married (?), and FLORA BELLA SMITH [d.1984] she married JOHN WELHAM. I donÂ’t know if they had any children.

BENJAMIN 1st marriage was to LENA KRUGER she died from tuberculosis 2 months after they were married [nd]. Lena left behind 2 children? or 2 siblings? 1 son/brother “Babs”, 1 daughter/sister (?) that died between the age of 10 or 14 [nd]. Benjamin asked his daughter Flora “Bella” (age 18) to look after his stepson “Babs,” she raised him from a toddler until he died at the age of (?) He was murdered (-stabbed) [nd]. I don’t know if Bella was already married to John Welham at that time. After his second marriage to Lydia ended (due to her death), BENJAMIN SMITH m. a 3rd time to ELIZA COCHRANE on the 7th day of May 1921 at the Dynevor Hospital. The service was performed by Rev Alfred Cook marriage lic. No. F35934. Benjamin met his 1st and 3rd wives at the place where they all worked the Dynevor Hospital (Sanitarium) [nd]. Benjamin was a laborer.

Benjamin had 1 sister HARRIET SMITH d. as a young child [nd] and several brothers: JACOB SMITH m. (?), JOHN SMITH m. (?), DAVID SMITH m. (?), and ABRAHAM SMITH married MARGARET STRANGER [nd]. They had 3? Children named ELLEN SMITH she married FREDRICK WILLIAM HAWKES b: December 31, 1914. Fred Hawkes mother was Maude Wagstaff m. JOHN HAWKES. ELLEN AND FRED had 2 children Fred and Gladys. ELLEN SMITH m. a 2nd time to JACK SHIELS and had 6 more children (?), WILFRED SMITH moved to the NWT m. (?), and MARY SMITH married SAM/SAMUEL EASTER [nd]. They had 3? children one was named Geraldine who married a (?) CLARK [nd]. They had ? children one was named Charlene who married a (?) JENSEN [nd]. They had 2 children named Clayton, and?

My g-parent’s GORDON STANLEY SMITH married ELIZABETH “LIZZY” MARGARET MASON [nd]. Her parent’s (my g-gparent’s) names were WILLIAM MASON married ROBINA BRADBURN [nd]. They had several children (I know of only two) my g-gmother “Lizzy” b. 7/12/1911, and her sister JULIANN BRADBURN m. RICHARD CRATE [nd].
My g-parent’s Gordon and Elizabeth had several children one of which was my mother-MARGARET SMITH, EWART “Manny” SMITH, TERRENCE “Terry” SMITH, ELSIE SMITH m. WALTER BURGAL, and WILLIAM “Beaver” SMITH. My g-mother Elizabeth “Lizzy” contracted pneumonia at the age of (?) [nd] and died shortly after having her 5th child William at the WGH.

After her death Gordon was in a house fire, his leg was badly burned and it was amputated [nd]. He asked his sister Flora Bella to raise his children so she agreed to do this for him. My mother and her sibling went to live with their “AUNTY BELLA” and her husband John at 702 Simcoe Street it was the 2nd house from the corner hardware store near Wellington Ave. in Winnipeg [nd]. My mother and my uncles attended Wellington School [nd]. After a time Bella and John moved to a smaller house in the country in the area of St. Peter’s.

My mother MARGARET SMITH and WALTER (?) had 2 children 1 son named Bruce Allen Smith, and 1 daughter named Lynn Darcy Smith-she had 1 son named Jason Smith. Lynn met and married Gary Crossett and had 3 more children 1 daughter named TeriLynn Crossett, and 2 sons named Joshua Crossett, and Joel Crossett.

My father JAMES KIPLING and my mother MARGARET SMITH had 4 children 2 sons named Randolph James Smith and Lloyd Kelly Smith, 2 daughters named Elaine Susan Smith, and (me) Terri Lorraine Smith. James or Jim KiplingÂ’s fatherÂ’s name was MALCOLM KIPLING [nd] and his motherÂ’s name was (?).

My family lived on the Fisher River Reserve and on or around the Red River Settlement area. However, I cannot find any of my family who lived on the R.R.S. or surrounding areas because I donÂ’t know whom to look for? My mother and her Aunty Bella told me that we have family in Scotland but couldnÂ’t tell me who were the person(s) who immigrated to Canada from Scotland.

Other Areas that my mother and her brothers have lived-in with their Aunty Bella were St. PeterÂ’s area R.M. of St. Clements. ~ I think maybe near Norway House. ~ The later generations always lived on the East Side of the Red River. ~ Also on Eaton Ave. in Selkirk. ~ Main Street across from the Manitoba Rolling Mills one-mile from the town of Selkirk and maybe even in the city of Winnipeg.

Unfortunately, I donÂ’t have most of the dates and my Mother doesnÂ’t know much about her g-parentÂ’s (Benjamin & LydiaÂ’s) past or whom LydiaÂ’s parentÂ’s were. Therefore, IÂ’m looking for any clues to who they were and whom their parentÂ’s were etc. If there were a connection and you have pictures, dates or stories you could share with me I would appreciate it, thank you.

Please e-mail me at: tlhouweling@hotmail.com

Sincerely,

Terri Smith

Find a board about a specific topic