Search for content in message boards

Contact sought w/ Mrs. C. NOTT or family, dau of the late Rose ST. GERMAIN d. 1979 Winnipeg

Replies: 5

Re: Still Seeking Contact w/ Mrs. C. NOTT or family, dau of the late Rose ST. GERMAIN d. 1979 Winnipeg - Birth Found

Posted: 20 Oct 2013 8:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: NOTT, ST. GERMAIN, POLIQUIN
Hi Stella,

Thanks for the replies.

Of the 3 censuses I work with, the US are by far the most error ridden. Canadian seem to have more problems in Québec when the enumerator doing the census is "English." The Brit censuses are by far the most accurate of the 3.

The 1911 census saying M. Rose b. 1910 in the US is what got me to thinking that maybe, just maybe, her mother Odelie was in the US for some reason.

There are 22 yrs between the birth of M. Méranda and her kid sister, M. Rose. I suppose back in the days of huge families, it wasn't all that uncommon for an older daughter to be pregnant at the same time as her own mother was. M. Rose would be the last of Hérménégilde and Odelie's children.

The only reasons I could come up with were, given it was a time of home births when women depended on the other women close to them from their family, esp. those with some birthing experience, for help & Hérménégilde and Odelie's daughter M. Méranda was the only one in the family down "south" in the US, that perhaps Odelie had come to RI to assist her daughter in what was her very first birthing experience.

A longer shot, which I hoped I'd not have to try & figure out, was that Odelie was in Newport, VT. at a relativ's when M. Rose was born. A story oft told was that there was a relative - uncle or cousin - of M. Méranda's who had a farm in Newport, Vt. & she'd only go that far north to visit being afraid that if she crossed back into Québec, she'd not be let back in to the US although there never was any basis for that fear of her's. Of course, as those of us who have picked apart some family fables know all too well, sometimes there's just a grain or two of fact buried in a whole lot of fiction so I've just taken that story of a Laramee relative having a farm in Newport to be entertaining until proven.

After finding M. Rose on the 1911 census as b. US 1910, it'd be a several years' wait until the 100 yr privacy protections on 1910 birth records in RI expired.

As it turned out, there was no record of M. Rose's birth @ RI State Archives. This sometimes will happen as the state's records were created at the end of the year from the municipal records where a BMD occurred and as with any transcription, they are subject to omissions & other errors.

Having not found M. Rose's birth at the state level, I had expected to find the birth record locally in the Town of North Providence. In the past, when a record was missing in the state's copies, I'd found other BMD for other people at the municipal level. I was disappointed when I got into the N. Providence records to find no trace of M. Rose which left just one last hope - the baptismal records of the now closed St. Lawrence Church.

The last Mass was held in St. Lawrence 31 Oct 2010. The remaining parishioners were transferred over to Mary, Mother of Mankind which is just a couple of miles away as the crow flies.

The St. Lawrence building was built in 1909 & was/is showing it's age. M. Méranda's husband, Philip who was a mason, had worked on the construction of the church building. St. Lawrence was the family parish for the Poliquin family & through the years many Poliquin baptisms, marriages & funerals were held there with the last being in Dec 2009 when the funeral for the last of Philip & Méranda's children was held.

Mary, Mother of Mankind was an outgrowth in the late 1960's of the St. Lawrence parish & thus is a much newer building so the Diocese decided to keep Mary, Mother of Mankind open & close the older St. Lawrence. And, as you noted, the records of the old St. Lawrence are now in the custody of Mary, Mother of Mankind which is where I went to find a copy of M. Rose's birth/baptism record as well as other records for Philip & M. Méranda's children.

The record of birth/baptism in the St. Lawrence records is the only record of M. Rose's birth in the US or Canada so far as I know to date.

I've attached a copy of M. Rose's birth/baptism to the Red River Roots & Beyond II tree at Ancestry. You'll note if you look at it, that it's a new copy & has the "25 Fourth St" addy. I didn't want to make the people nuts at Mary, Mother of Mankind getting too picky abt. the addy and was glad just to have found a record for M. Rose & to have been allowed to look at the old, original St. Lawrence books which are too big & fragile to be put in a flatbed scanner.

I'm still hoping for contact from the Nott side but may eventually try snail mail from this direction. I know from past experience that contacting "cousins" can have mixed results...it freaks some people out - especially those not too interested in their family history - to be contacted by someone who, although somewhat related, is none the less, a stranger to them.

Thanks again for the replies & thoughts.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
mindfoggs2 21 Jul 2012 4:21PM GMT 
sstanger1 24 Jul 2012 5:26AM GMT 
mindfoggs2 24 Jul 2012 6:34AM GMT 
mindfoggs2 20 Oct 2013 3:17PM GMT 
sstanger1 20 Oct 2013 7:17PM GMT 
mindfoggs2 21 Oct 2013 2:59AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions