Search for content in message boards

Richards Family

Replies: 1

Re: Richards Family

Posted: 19 May 2012 12:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 May 2012 12:04PM GMT
DAVID RICHARDS b. Cardigan, Douglas Parish, York Co., NB 18AUG1842 (ca. 1841-2), m. HANNAH SANSOM (b. 26SEP1839 (ca. 1841).)
David Richards, although b. NB, had parents born in Wales. In 1891 he and his family lived in Douglas Parish, York Co., NB; probably in the Keswick Ridge area. this suggests that they were related to a group of Welsh who settled in Cardigan (naming the place after their home) and who are a story in themselves. I may be able to hint at it later. With them in 1891 was a granddaughter, Mary Evans b. ca. 1886. In 1901 she is given as a daughter, Mary Richards, b. 10AUG1886 however she is more likely a daughter of David's daughter, Augusta who lives next to her brother, Daniel, in 1901 as 'Aguste' A. Evans, wife of James Evans.
In 1901 he is David 'Ritchards' in Dalhousie Parish, Restigouche Co., NB, a lumber merchant. Next to him is his son, Daniel and family, a labourer. Just beyond Daniel is James and 'Auguste' Evans who seems to be David's daughter.
Daniel Richards' death was registered and he was a banker when he died (b. Cardigan, Douglas Parish, York Co., NB 9DEC1847 (18AUG1842 in 1901), d. River Charlo, Restigouche Co., NB 7DEC1938 age 91 years, 11 months and 7 days.) His parents were Daniel Richards and _____ 'Griffis' (Griffiths?), both b. Cardigan, Wales. His daughter, Mrs. C. R. Hamilton gave the information on his death registration and he was buried in Fredericton, York Co., NB. He was in, 1864, one of the original shareholders of the People's Bank in Fredericton, as, apparently, was his brother, David, other kin, the Wheeler's, etc. Possibly an early form of a co-operative? His wife was Hannah (Mannah?) Sansom, d/o William Sansom.
I am fairly sure that David's family, in Douglas Parish, York Co., NB, in the 1851 census, was the farming family:

Richards Dan M Head 44 Welch June 1819
Richards Mary F Wife 40 Welch June 1819
Richards Isabella F Daughter 18 Welch Birth Absent
Richards William M Son 16 Welch Birth
Richards Elizabeth F Daughter 14 Welch Birth
Richards Margaret F Daughter 12 Welch Birth
Richards David M Son 10 Welch Birth
Richards John M Son 8 Welch Birth
Richards Mary F Daughter 6 Welch Birth
Richards Daniel M Son 4 Welch Birth
Richards Benjamin M Son 2 Welch Birth

David would most likely be the David b. ca. 1841 and the Daniel b. ca. 1847 is likely the Daniel whose death was noted above; therefore David's brother. This would make their parents to be Daniel and Mary (Griffis) Richards; although I prefer the more usual spelling, Griffiths or Griffith (Gruffydd.)

The Cardigan settlers arrived on the 'Albion' in 1819. I have run across them before. Out of memory, they followed a clergyman an, on arrival, found most available and arable land long taken by Loyalists, their children and grandchildren. Roads in New Brunswick were scarce so available land was land on the major rivers. Cardigan, in York Co., even I my youth, I recall as isolated although Fredericton is relatively easy to reach by automobile. In the 19th century it must have been very remote. The Cardigan settlers were very poor, and had difficulty adapting to the necessity to clear land before cultivating it. Their isolation created difficulties in finding employment. What temporary or menial jobs there were had been offered more as charity than anything, but these were inadequate. The difficulties of the settlement were so severe that a society to assist them was created. This was probably the first immigrant assistant society ever formed. It was timely as New Brunswick was soon inundated by Irish and by the feeble, elderly, feeble-minded, etc. which the parishes of England put on ships to become someone else's problem.

Dan Richards, the father of the family in 1851, died at his home in Hamtown (or Hamptown), Douglas Parish 13(or 15)DEC1882 age 75 (or 76) years. He was the second last survivor of the passengers of the 'Albion'. Whom the last was is not stated. His wife, Mary Griffiths, was also obviously on that ship, but they married in New Brunswick. Dan was survived by 4 sons and 4 daughters. Deacon Benjamin Richards, presumably his brother, married Martha Lewis (1811-14OCT1882), d/o David and Sarah Lewis, also all of the 'Albion'. Dans wife, Mary, may have been a d/o David and Rachel (ca. 1784-4APR1866) Griffith; but I cannot be positive. It seems very likely however, as Daniel Richards was married in Fredericton by the Venerable Archdeacon Coster (Anglican) 8MAY1833 to Mary Griffith, d/o David Griffith; all of Cardigan Settlement. Dan may have been a s/o Thomas Richards (b. Cardigan, South Wales ca. 1777, d. 18DEC1860.) An old query in the New Brunswick Genealogical Society periodical, "Generations", states that David, John and William Griffith were on the 'Albion' from Cardigan, Wales. and that David married Rachel Williams and that their daughter, Mary Griffiths (b. ca. 1811), married Daniel Richards.

I also looked at David Richards in the 1881 censuses of Douglas Parish in York Co., NB for 1871 and 1881.
Children:
1. MARY RICHARDS b. ca. 1865
2. DANIEL (DAN) EDWIN RICHARDS b. Cardigan, Douglas Parish, York Co., NB 16APR1866 (ca. 1866), m. Free Baptist (Free Christian Baptist?) Parsonage, Moncton, Westmorland Co., NB 28JUN1893 FRANCES (FANNIE) ELIZABETH WHEELER (b. Nashwaak (or Nashwaaksis?), York Co., NB 20AUG1867), d/o Benjamin and Catherine Wheeler.
When they married, Daniel was from Campbellton and Fannie from Fredericton. Fannie was in Moncton probably because that is where her brother (George H. Wheeler after whom she named her son) and Mrs. G. F. Currie lived at the time. The Rev. G. F. Currie performed the ceremony.
This is hardly a comprehensive study of the family. One of my distant cousins was interested in the family, and she was a fairly avid genealogist, so there may be a great deal somewhere. See:
http://histfam.familysearch.org/getperson.php?personID=I6800...
http://sailorchronos.angelfire.com/familymatters/hannah-s.ht...
This gives David, Sr's wife as Hannah Sansom. I have run into the Sansom's before (married distant cousins) but had not realized that they were part of the Cardigan Settlement. Apparently it was just her mother. Hannah's nephew, for example, married one of my cousins.
Children:
21. KATHLEEN (CATHELINE?) H. RICHARDS b. 28JAN1896
22. GEORGE WHEELER RICHARDS b. Campbellton, Restigouche Co., NB 7MAY1897 (1MAY1897 in 1901), m. Maine 6JUN1920 MURIEL LIBBY (LIBBEY) (b. (Newport?), Maine.)
23. FRANCES GWENDOLYN RICHARDS b. Richardsville, Restigouche Co., NB 15APR1901
24. DAVID EDWIN RICHARDS b. Richardsville, Restigouche Co., NB 11APR1905
3. AUGUSTA A. RICHARDS b. 24JUL1869 (ca. 1869-70), m. JAMES S. EVANS (b. OCT1869)
4. JOHN RICHARDS b. MAR1871 (ca. 1871-2)
5. ELIZA B. RICHARDS b. 8JUL1873 (ca. 1874)
6. MARTHA (MATTY) B. RICHARDS b. 29DEC1875 (ca. 1876)
9. WILLIAM S. RICHARDS b. 6APR1878 (ca. 1878)
8. BEATRICE M. RICHARDS b. 8AUG1881 (ca. 1881, APR1881 in 1881)

Thomas
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
aambrose11 18 May 2012 6:46PM GMT 
thomasamurray... 19 May 2012 6:03PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions