Search for content in message boards

Seek Jonathan N Wells, Nflder living in New Brunswick 1911

Replies: 11

Re: Seek Jonathan N Wells, Nflder living in New Brunswick 1911

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 2:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Doubt this is the Harriet you speak of since if you calculate her year of birth from her reported age at the time of her death at 49 yrs she would have been born in 1846. Also Shoal Hr is quite a distance from Cupids, and as far as I know, there was no movement between people in these two communities. Shoal Hr is situated in Trinity Bay near Clarenville.

Unfortunately there is a period in the church records for Cupids that have either gone missing or were never recorded that fits exactly into the time Harriet was born. There is a note in one of the registers from a minister who served in the community stating that he forgot to enter in over forty(?) burial entries so I fear Harriet's birth could be another set of records he didn't record! I have checked both the Cupids, Brigus, Bay Roberts, Hr. Grace and Carbonear church records and she is not listed in either for the Anglican or the United Church faiths. A second reason to doubt Harriet being from Shoal Cove is the fact there was a family or two by the name of Noseworthy living in Cupids from much earlier time(early 1800s) so I think she must have been a daughter of one of these families. I haven't been able to find any reference to Harriet among these families, I wish I could. Maybe someone researching this particular family might have better success, who knows. As for William's origins he was born a couple of miles from Cupids in a small community called Salmon Cove, which is now part of South River, Conception Bay. He was the first child to be baptized in the new School chapel built for the community as there was no church there before that time. His parents were James and Susanna Wells. As I mentioned in my last message it is very doubtful you will ever find the European origins for these particular family. I have never found anything. There appears to be other families by the surname of Wells living the Brigus/Cupids/Salmon Cove region at the same time. One line states their family tradition gives their family as being from Wales, while another group note their family say they come from Channel Islands. I have never found any proof for either. There is a Wells family who settled in Hr. Grace that definitely originate from Channel Islands as this information can be found in some court records for the early 1800's. No one had found any connection between this family and those of the Brigus/Cupids/Salmon Cove groups. So the origins are lost in the mists of time I fear.

I was speaking to my mother last evening and she mentioned that her sister remembers a fellow by the name of Jack Wells coming to Newfoundland with his wife back in the 1950's or 1960's. By any chance could this be Jonathan? My Aunt states that he was related to our family and visited my grandfather Wells. Apparently it had been his first visit back since he left many, many years before. Just a thought!
You can contact me at jfoote@mun.ca
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
hw33 30 Jan 2013 5:21PM GMT 
FooteJKG 30 Jan 2013 9:02PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions