Search for content in message boards

Seek Jonathan N Wells, Nflder living in New Brunswick 1911

Replies: 11

Re: Seek Jonathan N Wells, Nflder living in New Brunswick 1911

Posted: 29 Jan 2013 3:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Herman,

Sorry for the delay in replying, but it's only now I'm getting back to working on my family history after the Christmas break. I should be able to answer some of your questions regarding Jonathan N.'s Newfoundland family as I have been working on this line for the past 30 yrs. With that said I think there will always be questions (hence my use of the word some) as I can only go back about another 3 genenations from Jonathan because at that point the records are patchy at best. Unfortunately I have never been able to discover the European origins of the family; they stop in Newfoundland. I seriously doubt anyone will find exactly where they came from short of a miracle or finding long lost family documents or church records.

I'm delighted to have made contact with someone from Jonathan's line as once he moved to NB he sort of disappeared from the family radar. In fact his youngest brother William Stewart thought he had moved to Montreal without leaving any forwarding address. Apparently, later in life, Stewart had tried to find Jonathan but alas never did. Guess he never thought to look in NB! Of course the name change didn't help either.

For the most part Jonathan's ancestors came from Cupids, Conception Bay, NL, however, his immediate family did some moving and this might be why you have had problems sorting them out. Jonathan had 6 siblings in all: Robert Henry (1868-1897); George (1871-1872); Mary Ann Wells (c1873-1908); James Archelano (1878- c1925-35); Samuel Woodley (1880-1889) and William Stewart (1883-1972). Some time shortly before 1889 the family moved from Cupids, Conception Bay to Whitbourne. My grandfather told me that William (Jonathan's father)worked on the estate of Sir Robert Bond, who was Prime Minister of Newfoundland between 1900-1909. Sadly the family encountered some trials at Whitbourne as Jonathan's younger brother, Samuel, was drowned in a pond at Harbour Grace Junction (now called Whitbourne) on the 11 March 1889. I suspect the family had only moved there shortly before as they returned his body for burial in Cupid's United Church Cemetery and instead of interment at Whitbourne. In 1895, Jonathan's mother, Harriet Jane nee NOSEWORTHY, born c1846(hence the origin of his middle name), died at Whitbourne at the age of 49 yrs. She was buried at Whitbourne followed by Jonathan's oldest brother, Robert in 1897. William, Jonathan's father remarried in 1902 to Jessie Ann Hillier (1875-?) and they had 3 more children: Elsie (1902-?); Christiana A. (1904-1992) and Samuel George Wells (1908-2004). William died on the 29th Oct 1908, 2 months after his youngest son's birth. It seems after this the family sort of scattered. Mary Ann's husband, Thomas Seward, died in 1897 at Whitbourne and it appears she moved back with her 3 young children to Cupids where she later remarried and died in child birth in 1908. In the meantime Jonathan was thought to have moved to Montreal. Not an unusual thought considering others in the family had moved there seeking work also. In the case of James Archelano Wells, he and his family moved to Corner Brook and settled there where he worked for the railway. As for William Stewart Wells he moved to Hartford Conn, USA where he settled and raised his family. He returned once to NL as my mother can remember meeting him when he stayed with my grandfather. Both he and my grandfather were close in age and after the death of his father Stewart moved in with my grandfather's family for a while before moving to the US.

If you have any information you wish to share I would be happy to learn of it. I am certainly interested in this Jonathan Seward and his relationship to Mary Ann. Her children are another group who seem to have scattered upon her death and I would love to learn more about them if possible. Also I would appreciate learning more about Jonathan's family if you are willing.

If you would like to correspond more, maybe you would like to contact me directly. Let me know and I will be happy to give you my e-mail address.

Welcome to the family!

Judy
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
FooteJKG 12 Apr 2010 8:22PM GMT 
POPOSPT04 12 Apr 2010 10:17PM GMT 
FooteJKG 19 Apr 2010 4:10PM GMT 
arewerelated2... 16 Apr 2010 11:19AM GMT 
FooteJKG 19 Apr 2010 4:02PM GMT 
Sheryl_Bernic... 24 Jun 2012 2:06PM GMT 
FooteJKG 26 Jun 2012 7:10PM GMT 
hw33 11 Dec 2012 2:17AM GMT 
FooteJKG 29 Jan 2013 10:50PM GMT