Search for content in message boards

Seeking Birth Family: Surname GAUTREAU

Replies: 0

Seeking Birth Family: Surname GAUTREAU

Posted: 18 Oct 2011 7:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gautreau
Hi!

I am trying to help a friend of a friend find her birth family. She has limited information but hopefully some of this will sound familiar to someone.

Nancy was born in Toronto on October 26 1960. Her birth name was Joanne Mary GAUTREAU. The birth mother's name is listed on the Ontario Statement of Birth as Irene Marie GAUTREAU. She was 29 years of age and was from New Brunswick. At the time of Nancy's birth, the address of Irene was listed as 51 Lankfield (possibly Larkfield Drive) in Toronto. There is a question on the Statement of birth that asks "How many children born to this mother BEFORE this birth"? The response was one was born alive and one was still living. So, Nancy (Joanne) would have been Irene's second child.

Other non identifying information Nancy has is:

Irene was the third or fourth of 6 kids. She had siblings that were younger and the older ones were married with kids.

Irene's mother was in still alive in October 1960, but her father had died of (I think) throat cancer years before and was much older than her mom (by more than 10 years, maybe more than 15…).

Irene told the authorities that the birth father was 21 and apparently a university graduate in electronics (in NB???) A lot of birth history was exaggerated back then to make the child seem more attractive, educated birth parents etc, so who knows if this is true…). They had known each other for about 5 years, dated for one,
when she found out she was pregnant, she didn’t tell him, but left New Brunswick for Toronto to have Nancy, and give her up. Nancy thinks that they likely lived in the same neighbourhood, or maybe he was a friend of a younger sibling.

Irene did marry, but not the birth dad. Around 2001 she was contacted thru the adoption disclosure agency via mail. Irene called their office early in the morning and told them they had the “wrong person” and not to contact her again. To them, this was a clear indication that they indeed had the right person. A genuinely wrong person
doesn’t phone before the office is open, leave voice mail and say “don’t contact me again”.

Irene would be 80 now… so who knows if she is even still around. Nancy finds it interesting to note that
she was Irene's 2nd child… She was single when Nancy was born, and by the birth certificate, she knew her first child was alive. Nancy wonders if it was being raised by a sibling… she had to know where it was to know
it was still alive (or she was guessing).

If any of this sounds familiar to anyone please contact me. Any tip would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

Heather and Nancy

email: hwaddingham@yahoo.com

Find a board about a specific topic