Capt. JOSIAH GILBERT (possibly a s/o Moses and Sarah (Gilbert) Gilbert of Fairfield, CT; or of Josiah and Hannah (Breasted) Gilbert) b. NJ. or b. Salem, Westchester Co., NY ca. 1756, d. Springford, South Norwich Twp., Oxford Co., ONT JUL1831 (or left a will dated 15JUL1831, probated 12OCT1832?), m. 1st ELIZABETH (SMITH?) (d. 1786); m. 2nd? Port Rowan, ONT ca. 1796 SARAH OUTHOUSE (b. Rockland Co., NY ca. 1JAN1782, d. 16JAN1870 age 88 years and 15 days, buried St. Charles' Church Cemetery, Dereham Twp., ONT), d/o Nicholas and Elizabeth (Flewelling) Outhouse.
Josiah Gilbert was a Loyalist serving as a corporal in the Kings' American Regiment (enlisted AUG1777), from Kings' Bridge (near Courtlandt Manor), Westchester Co., NY. He first went to New Brunswick in 1783 and later (ca. 1799-1808, but apparently there by 8JUN1796 when he petitioned for land in Upper Canada) to Woodhouse Twp., Norfolk Co., Canada West (Ontario). (He moved to Norwich Twp., Oxford Co., in 1808.) He was commissioned captain in the local militia in Upper Canada in the War of 1812.
In 1763, Josiah Gilbert and Abijah Gilbert were living near each other in Salem, Westchester Co., NY. It is probable that one of these was Josiah's father. Abijah Gilbert (ca. 1735-1822) was, apparently, a captain in the Patriot army. He married 23DEC1756 Rebecca Brush and seems unlikely to have been Josiah's father. One posting has:
"Abijah Gilbert, born 20 Jan 1736, was a Captain in the Revolutionary Army, and was the son of Josiah Gilbert and Elizabeth Smith. Josiah was son of John, son of Thomas, son of Thomas the immigrant, son of Richard Gilbert of Yardley, Worcestershire, England. This is found in "The Gilbert Family, Descendants of Thomas Gilbert..." by Brainard, Gilbert and Torrey, New Haven, Connecticut, 1953, reprinted 1984, p 56, and TAG, July 1990."
Possibly Capt. Abijah was an older brother of the Loyalist, Josiah Gilbert? That there was a fair-sized, Gilbert family in the Salem area before the Revolution, including an elder Abijah 'Gilburd' is evidenced at:http://the-red-thread.net/NY-south-salem-baptisms.html
This includes baptism:
Apr 16, 1758 Anna, daughter of Abijah Gilburd
Aug 12, 1759 Elizabeth, daughter of Abijah Gilburd
Sep 12, 1762 Stephen, son of Abijah Gilburd
Oct 11, 1767 Ruth, daughter of Abijah Gilburd
Feb 17, 1771 Anna, Daughter of Jacob Gilbert
Apr 7, 1771 Sarah, Daughter of Ephraim Gilbert
Jan 3, 1773 Thomas, son of Ephraim Gilbund
May 27, 1781 Anna, daughter of Ephraim Gilbert
Dec 8, 1782 Josiah, son of Ephraim Gilbert
Apr 25, 1775 Hannah, daughter of Benajah Gilbert
May 27, 1775 Lois & John, children of Benajah Gilbert
Aug 4, 1776 Hannah, daughter of Benaiah Gilbert
Dec 23, 1778 Eunice, daughter of Benajah Gilbert
Oct 20, 1780 Rhoda, daughter of Benajah Gilbert
Aug 25, 1782 Elizabeth, daughter of Benajah Gilbert
and so on. The grave stones of Abijah's parents, in the South Salem Presbyterian Church Cemetery, are transcribed as:
"In memory of Jofiah Gilbert Efq. who Departed this Life Oct. 20 AD 1781 in the 83 year of his life. A perfon very Emenant to promote the Gofpel and the publick good."
"In memory of Mrs. Elizabeth Gilbert wife of Josiah Gilbert Efq. a virtuous wife, a tender mother and Benevolent neighbour who liv’d belov’d and died lamented June 29th 1774 in “”e/y 65th year of Her age."
Some information derives from Egbert Americus Owen's work which, while unique, is not always accurate.
1. MOSES GILBERT b. Queensbury Parish, York Co., NB 10MAR1784, baptized 9SEP1792, d. 23JUN1883, m. MARGARET GREEN.
Margaret may have been a sister or niece of Barbara Green (ca. 1780-2-10NOV1857) who m. 10JUL1796 Abraham Yerxa. Possibly Barbara was a d/o Elizabeth Green who petitioned for land in York Co. in 1785 with an Isaac Green. Generally women petitioned for land if they were widows, so Isaac may have been a son. Elizabeth also petitons in 1788 with Henry Green and in 1789 with Thomas Green (who seems the same in 1785). A Joseph Green petitions in York Co. in 1785 and a Patrick Green in 1788.
Of these, Thomas Green is most obviously connected to the Keswick families, petitioning in 1809 with the Brewer's and Burt's (Burtt's). Thomas is said to have married Elizabeth Claiment and to have had a daughter, Lucy Green (ca. 1792-5JUN1875) who m. John Brewer.
Elizabeth Green is likely the widow of Thomas Green, also of Courtlandt Manor, who came to NB in 1783 with at least three sons, Isaac, John and Henry Green. She remarried 1805 Clayton Tilton. Although Henry is associated with Wicklow Parish, Carleton Co. (part of York Co. until 1850), he received a grant in Queensbury Parish, York Co., in 1788, as did a William Green in 1810. Henry appears to have faought in the Revolution and his wife, Mary, later received a pension until her death 1JAN1859. The matter is complicated as the Green's/Greene's were a large family before 1783.
11. JOSIAH GILBERT b. ca. 1802-3, d. Douglas Parish, York Co., NB 13JUL1883 age 81 years, buried Carlisle Cemetery, Douglas Parish, York Co., NB, m. 11DEC1827 SUSAN ANN YERXA (b. ca. 1812, d. 2AUG1889 age 77 years, buried Carlisle Cemetery, Douglas Parish, York Co., NB), d/o John and Joann Sarah (Merrithew) Yerxa.
In Douglas PArish, York Co., NB in 1851 as:
Gilbert Josiah M Head 48 Native Shoemaker
Gilbert Susan Ann F Wife 38 Native
Gilbert Margaret Ann F Daughter 16 Native
Gilbert James M Son 18 Native
Gilbert William M Son 13 Native
Gilbert John M Son 11 Native
Gilbert Enoch M Son 8 Native
Gilbert Angelina F Daughter 6 Native
Gilbert Benjamin M Son 3 Native
Josiah (59) and 'Susanah' (49) Gilbert are in Douglas Parish in 1861 with Jemima (10), Ann (8), Enoch (18), John (21), Benjamin (14), Arthur (7) and Chesley (4).
111. JAMES B. GILBERT b. Douglas Parish, York Co., NB 19APR1834, d. York Co., NB 30MAR1914 age 82 years, d. St. Mary's Parish, York Co., NB 30MAR1914, m. MARTHA HAINES (b. ca. 1836-8), d/o Whitman Alfred and Sarah (Allen) Haines.
112. MARGARET ANN GILBERT b. ca. 1835, m. 28MAY1853 JOHN EDWIN (EDWARD) TODD.
113. WILLIAM GILBERT b. ca. 1838, d. Virginia (Civil War) 8FEB1865.
114. JOHN WELLINGTON GILBERT b. ca. 1840, d. 19OCT1908, m. 19SEP1867 SARAH BEEK (BEEAK?) (b. ca. 1845-8, d. Eddington, ME 1918, buried Blackman Riverside Cemetery, Eddington, Penobscot Co., ME; m. 2nd _____ Rowell), d/o Joseph and Ann (Leslie) Beek.
John (30) and Sarah (23) Gilbert lived in Douglas Parish in 1871 next to he parents and siblings. Their children were John (2) and Manford (NOV1870).
John (41) and Sarah (36) Gilbert were in 'Douglass' Parish in 1881.
1141. JOHN (JACK) CHESLEY GILBERT b. Zealand, Douglas Parish, York Co., NB 17FEB1868 (ca. 1868-9, 15FEB1868 in 1901), d. 30APR1953, m. 13MAR1890 LYDIA ELLEN (EVELINE?), M.? MOREHOUSE (b. Zealand, Douglas (now Bright) Parish, York Co., NB 22JUN1872 (ca. 1869, 22JUN1882 in death registration but 22JUN1872 in 1901), d. Zealand, Bright Parish, York Co., NB 16APR1947), d/o James (John) and Elizabeth (Betsey, Mary E.) (Hanson) Morehouse.
Went to Houlton, Aroostook Co., ME 17APR1917, 31MAY1923, JUN1923.
1142. MANFORD GILBERT b. NOV1870 (ca. 1872), d. 1893.
1143. HENRY (HARRY) GILBERT b. (Miramichi River area, Northumberland Co., NB?) 20JUL1872 (ca. 1873-4, JUL1874?), d. Albany, Albany Co., NY 4AUG1925, buried Blackman Riverside Cemetery, Eddington, Penobscot Co., ME, m. York Co., NB 18AUG1896 MARY (MAMIE) ELIZABETH DUNPHY (b. Douglas Parish, York Co., NB 1880 (ca. 1879), d. 1957, buried Blackman Riverside Cemetery, Eddington, Penobscot Co., ME), d/o Richard S. and Jane (Jones) Dunphy.
14311. son b. Douglas Parish, York Co., NB 11NOV1896.
14312. BEULAH MAY GILBERT b. 12NOV1897 (ca. 1898), d. Springfield, MA 8APR1894, m. 1st EDWARD VENO (Venneau?); m. 2nd _____ DeORSAY (b. 1891, d. 1974).
14313. GRACE VIOLET GILBERT b. 3MAY1900, d. 16JAN1993, m. Maine 2NOV1916 HAROLD SIMON ROWELL.
14314. GERTRUDE FAY GILBERT b. MAY1900, d. 1934, buried Blackman Riverside Cemetery, Eddington, Penobscot Co., ME, m. WALTER KROLL.
14315. MANFORD OTIS GILBERT b. 4MAY1901, d. Hermon, ME 26JUN1973 age 72 years, buried Blackman Riverside Cemetery, Eddington, Penobscot Co., ME, m. Maine 21APR1926 VIRGINIA M. (ROBICHAUD) VOTER (Vautour?) (b. 1907, d. 1991, buried Blackman Riverside Cemetery, Eddington, Penobscot Co., ME.
14316. LUCILLE V. GILBERT b. MAR1905, m. RUSSELL KING.
14317. JEANETTE (JENNIE) ETHEL GILBERT b. ca. 1907, d. 1996, m. ALBERT B. MADDOCKS (b. 1904, d. 1989).
14318. DOROTHY HELEN GILBERT b. Eddington, Penobscot Co., ME 20FEB1910, d. Bangor, Penobscot Co., ME 17JUN1976, m. CLARENCE LLEWELLYN DAY (b. 14APR1892, d. 2DEC1970), s/o Herbert and Rebecca (McRae) Day.
14319. MARJORIE EVELYN GILBERT b. Eddington, Penobscot Co., ME 1913, d. 9JAN2011, m. GERARD J. LeBLANC (b. 1912, d. 2002).
1431J. ESTHER IRENE GILBERT (b. 1914, d. 1985, buried Blackman Riverside Cemetery, Eddington, Penobscot Co., ME, m. 1st GLENN FOLSTER.; m. 2nd ____ EMERSON.
1144. GERTRUDE MAY GILBERT b. ca. 1876, d. 1964, m. Houlton, Aroostook Co., ME 25JAN1892 GEORGE M. CONLOGUE.
1145. KENNETH GILBERT b. ca. 1877, d. 1964, m. 1st Maine 10APR1901 GRACE OLIVER; m. 2nd Maine 10APR1934 ZELDA PETERSON.
1146. ISABELLA (MINNIE BELLEFLEUR) GILBERT b. ca. 1879.
1147. ETHEL EMMA GILBERT b. 8NOV1881, d. 1974, m. Maine 26NOV1901 GEORGE MANNING WOOD.
1148. GEORGE WHITFIELD (WHITFORD) GILBERT b. ca. 1883, d. 1937, m. 1st Maine 3MAY1911 NELLIE SEVERANCE; m. 2nd Maine 1JAN1915 LILLIAN KNOX.
1149. RALPH HAZEN GILBERT.
114J. ADELBERT GILBERT.
114. ENOCH GILBERT b. 7DEC1845 (ca. 1843-8), d. 1921, m. EMMA DOW (m. 1st Elias Yerxa), d/o Samuel and Mahala (Yerxa) Dow.
115. ANGELINA GILBERT b. ca. 1845, m. HENRY DAVIS.
116. BENJAMIN BRADFORD GILBERT b. ca. 1847-8 (ca. 1851), m. SARAH (ELSIE, EMERY?) (_____) SCOTT (b. ca. 1861; m. 1st Scott).
117. JEMIMA GILBERT b. 22SEP1849 (ca. 1851, 20SEP1847?), d. 5MAY1940, buried Dayton Cemetery, Douglas Parish, York Co., NB, m. 1FEB1889 JOHN McGIBBON (b. ca. 1842), s/o Alexander and Amy (Yerxa) McGibbon.
118. ANN/EMMA GILBERT b. ca. 1853, m. HENRY BEVARD.
119. WINSLOW CAYTON (ARTHUR) GILBERT b. 10DEC1854 (ca. 1854-5), d. 9OCT1917, buried Carlisle Cemetery, Douglas Parish, York Co., NB, m. 25MAR1885 SUSAN JANE ELIZABETH GILL.
11J. CHESLEY GILBERT b. 4MAR1856 (ca. 1857), m. 14AUG1884 BELLE SCOTT, d/o Elsie Emery and _____ Scott.
11K. WILLIAM GILBERT (son in 1871, possibly grandson?; gave John and Sarah as his parents when married; parents unknown when he died) b. OCT1870 (18SEP1865 in death registration), d. Marysville, St. Mary's Parish, York Co., NB 17OCT1961, buried Sunny Bank Cemetery, Devon, St. Mary's Parish, York Co., NB, m. 26SEP1894 MARGARET (or MARY) LILLIAN CROWE (b.1878, d. 1918, buried Sunny Bank Cemetery, Devon, St. Mary's Parish, York Co., NB).
2. son, baptized York Co., NB 28FEB1793.
3. ABRAHAM GILBERT b. ca. 1798-1801 or b. Charlotteville Twp., Norfolk Co., ONT ca. 1798, d. Dereham Twp., Oxford Co. 28DEC1866 age 68 years, unm. Dave Cooper (17MAY2001) writes: "Abraham Gilbert born in 1798 in Norfolk County and died December 28, 1866 in Dereham Township, Oxford County and is buried in the St. Charles Anglican Cemetery. Abraham never married."
4. TAMAR GILBERT.
5. PETER GILBERT b. Port Rowan, Charlotteville Twp., Norfolk Co., ONT 27SEP1802, d. Dereham Twp., Oxford Co. (or Norfolk Co)., ONT, 1MAR1879, buried Ebenzezer/Grove Cemetery, m. 1st 9SEP1829 SUELINA EARLE, d/o John and Mary (Averill) Earle; m. 2nd m. 24NOV1831 HANNAH C. COLLARD (b. ca. 1806 Norwich Twp). Peter and Hannah had five children..
6. BENJAMIN GILBERT b. Charlotteville Twp., Norfolk Co., ONT 5AUG1807, d. Dereham Twp., Oxford Co., ONT 28OCT1887, buried St. Charles' Cemetery, m. 15APR1830 AMY O. FLUELLING (b. Cayuga Co., NY 8OCT1812, d. 8JUL1882, age 69 years, 9 months, buried Pine Street Burying Ground, Lot 13, Conc. 9, (South) Norwich Twp., Oxford Co., ONT near where the Pine Street Friends Meeting House was built in 1819), d/o Benjamin W. and Mary (Weeks) Fluelling, and most likely his second cousin.
Benjamin W. Fluelling's aunt, Elizabeth Flewelling, was Sarah's (Outhouse) Gilbert's mother.
7. SALINA (or SELINA) GILBERT b. Charlotteville Twp., Norfolk Co., ONT 24JUL1808, d. 9MAY1910 age 102 years, 9 months, 13 days (i.e., b. ca. 26JUL1807), buried Springford Cemetery, South Norwich Twp., Oxford Co., ONT, m. South Norwich Twp., Oxford Co., ONT 1825 MICHAEL MAHONEY (O'MAHONEY, both versions on headstone) ( b. Limerick, Ireland 1787, d. Springford (Otterville), ONT 1863, buried Springford Cemetery, South Norwich Twp., Oxford Co., ONT; m. 1st _____), brother of John O'Mahoney. This was Michael's second marriage. They were both employed by George Tillson, the founder of Tillsonburg, Ontario. Michael was a veteran of the Battle of Waterloo in Belgium in 1815. Michael and Selina had eleven children..
8. SARAH ANNE GILBERT b. ca. South Norwich Twp., Oxford Co. 1809 (or1812), m. 27SEP1832 MICHAEL CAINE (CAIN). They had two children.
9. WILLIAM GILBERT South Norwich Twp. 1811, d. 3MAR1846 of 'Black Diptheria', as did his brother, George, m. 27SEP1832 SARAH McKINNEY.
J. GEORGE GILBERT b. South Norwich Twp. 1813, d. 3MAR1846, buried 3MAR1846 with his brother, William, in a separate burial plot in the Springford Cemetery.
K. JOHN GILBERT b. South Norwich Twp., ONT 14SEP1815 (or ca. 1810), d. 3MAR1906, buried Springford Cemetery, m.Talbot District, Upper Canada by the Rev. George Ryerse (Baptist) 24JAN1844 PURTHENA SWARTOUT (b. USA 19OCT1825, d. 27APR1916, buried Springford Cemetery), d/o Thomas and Prudence (Wise) Swartout.