Search for content in message boards

Abbott and Fifield from Bonavista

Replies: 51

Re: Abbott and Fifield from Bonavista

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 1:09AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Aug 2013 1:11AM GMT
I included in my list all the names I came across with the surname of Abbott. I may have missed some, but generally I included everyone. Marriages of Abbott females I'm not as confident that I got them all. If I found one, I know I would have included it, but it being the second name in a list I may have missed a lot since I was looking for the marriage of the men for my patriarchal line.

Names are tricky things. Different clergy spelled them sometimes totally different, and depending on how well they knew them, some clergy would even put in their nickname or more common name for instance Emma for Emily, etc. I had a surname that had me stumped for years. I knew that Maher was the surname of my ancestor, but I couldn't figure out who his parents were until I discovered online that Maher is a modern version of the name Meagher, and both are pronounced the same. When I discovered this, I had no trouble locating the parents of my William Maher in Old Bonaventure, Edward and Patience Meagher.

I had never considered any of my ancestors to be of metis or mikmaq origins. However, that could explain why I have trouble finding the parents of Mary Ann Tremblett. Thanks for the heads up, and another avenue for me to search. I also have a line of Ivany's in my tree and many times Ivany is spelled Ivamy which you say could be of those origins...so, thanks again and I will check into that as well.

If you are researching a Stephen Abbott, then I would presume that your line of Abbotts would tie into mine when you get back far enough because as you know I have three generations in a row of Stephen Abbotts that are not the one that you are looking for because you haven't gotten back that far yet...and I would also presume the reason that there is so much confusion with everyone naming their children the same in the same generation is because they all wanted to name their children after their parents/grandparent etc, and when you have an Abbott with a lot of sons who in turn has a lot of sons, then the names gets overwhelming. However, I presume that most of them would eventually tie into the one patriarch at some point. I do know of a line of Abbotts that are not related, and I have them in my tree as well. There is a Matthew Abbott born circa 1722-Apr 19, 1794 in Wimborne Minster, Dorset, England who married on Oct 24, 1760 in Trinity to Grace Gillett 1740-1771 of Trinity. Matthew and Grace Abbott are the grandparents of Martha Ivamy/Ivany that married Stephen Abbott in 1802.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Paul Goodyear 13 May 2012 3:38PM GMT 
stoneynl 13 May 2012 4:32PM GMT 
wmcguire99 20 Aug 2013 6:18AM GMT 
wmcguire99 20 Aug 2013 6:20AM GMT 
stoneynl 20 Aug 2013 4:03PM GMT 
wmcguire99 20 Aug 2013 10:05PM GMT 
kb1fer 20 Aug 2013 11:58PM GMT 
stoneynl 21 Aug 2013 7:09AM GMT 
wmcguire99 21 Aug 2013 7:49AM GMT 
stoneynl 21 Aug 2013 4:13PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions