The Bonavista Archives contains textual records which date from the 18th to the 20th century. They include material relating to the history of the town and citizens of Bonavista and the surrounding area.
Genealogy Material: the Archives has extensive material available for people researching their family history. Sources include:
Cemetery Headstone Inscriptions
Wills and Land Grants
Family History Files – Bonavista Historical Society Collection
Hours of Operation:
The archives is currently only available by appointment. Please call or email to make arrangements.
Since first opening in 2007, at the Bonavista Courthouse, the number of requests for information
from the Archives continues to grow. Lack of space does not allow everything to be housed in one
building therefore the Archives is open by appointment to the general public.
Research Services & Fees:
For researchers visiting the Archives in person, there are no research fees. For those unable to
visit the Archives in person, or unable to have someone visit the Archives on their behalf, the staff of the Archives can provide limited research services. A fees for these services will apply. Visit our website for more information. www.townofbonavista.com
We're committed to assisting everyone who contacts us, but because we are have a small staff it can sometimes take several weeks to process an individual request. Please allow 4 - 6 weeks for a completed request.
1-5 Sweetland's Hill
First floor of the Bonavista Provincial Court House
** Parish Records **
- Roman Catholic Church, Bonavista - Baptisms 1842-1940; Marriages 1844-1928
- Memorial United Church / Wesleyan(Methodist)- Baptisms 1817-1981 and 1983-1986; Marriages 1822-1972; Burials 1827-1986
- Salvation Army, Bonavista Area- Marriages 1908-1962; Census 1915-1940; Census 1920-1928; Cradle roll 1916-1939; Dedications 1893-1945; Dedications [Bonavista] 1970-1989; Dedications [Elliston] 1920-1974; Enrollments 1947-1948; Burials 1971-1989
- Christ Church, Bonavista (Church of England)- Marriages 1786-1948; Burials 1786-1940; Baptisms 1786-1970
- Bird Island Cove [Elliston] United Church (Methodist)- Baptisms 1854-1949; Burials 1891-1940
- Bethany United Church, Catalina- Baptisms 1917-1963; Marriages 1864 –1968; Burials 1864-1890
- St. Peter’s Church, Catalina (Church of England)- Baptisms 1834-1877; Baptisms 1879-1959; Marriages 1833-1968; Burials 1829-1988
- St. Phillips Church, Keels [Kiels] (Church of England)-Baptisms 1833-1988; Marriages 1838-1988; Burials 1840-1984
- Trinity East (Church of England)- Baptisms 1876-1979; Marriages 1876-1959; Burials 1876-1879
- St. Paul’s Church, Trinity-Baptisms 1879-1988; Marriages 1879-1988; Burials 1879-1988
- St. Andrews Church, Newman’s Cove-Baptisms 1887-1988; Marriages 1919-1988; Burials 1819-1978
- St. Nicholas Church, Amherst Cove (Church of England)-Baptisms 1933-1987; Marriages 1899-1988; Burials 1899-1988
- Musgravetown Methodist Church- Births 1871-1902; Baptisms 1908-1919; Marriages 1874-1937; Burials 1949-1996
- St. James Church, Kings Cove (Church of England)-Baptisms 1879-1965; Marriages 1839-1949; Burials 1880-1969
- Churchyard & Cemetery Records - New United Church Lance Cove Road Cemetery,Bonavista (Methodist);Old Anglican Lance Cove Road Cemetery, Bonavista (Church of England; Memorial United Church Churchyard, Bonavista; Memorial United Church Cemetery, Bonavista; Salvation Army Churchyard, Bonavista; Salvation Army Cemetery, Bonavista; United Church Lookout Cemetery, Bonavista; Christ Church Lance Cove Road Cemetery, Bonavista; Roman Catholic Churchyard, Bonavista; Church of England Churchyard, Bonavista