Search for content in message boards

John Gardiner from Conception Bay, NL

Replies: 12

Re: John Gardiner from Conception Bay, NL

Posted: 5 Mar 2012 6:31AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Matthew,

I'm so glad this is your family.
I looked a little further yesterday into the NL Gardiners and,as I mentioned before, there was a Hubert S. Gardiner in Flowers Cove who was born in Bareneed. I checked in Flowers Cove and found a Mildred Gardiner Crocker d/o H. Stanley from Flowers Cove who is quoted in a book "This is our Place, This is our Home" about life in northern NL. She says her dad was born in Port-de-Grave (which is also close to Bareneed) and his ancestors had come to NL from England.
She says Stanley's mother died when he was 9 mths old and he was raised by his Uncle Hayward Whalen in Flower's Cove. Turns out Stanley's dad is Robert W. Gardiner b 1886 (WWI Veteran)who d 1946 s/o Wm J. & Mary Anne of Bareneed. I would be willing to bet that Robert is a cousin of your John
b 1885. Robert is listed in the St. John's Phone Directory in 1938 & 1946 as R.W. Gardener, Signal Hill Rd., Lighthouse Keeper. Poor Robert didn't have much luck with the wives though - his 2nd wife Mary Catherine died in the torpedoing of the SS Caribou in 1942 (ferry crossing from North Sydney to Port aux Basques). His daughter Florence who was raised by Wm J. & Mary married Louis Newell and moved to Verdun, PQ. He had three children with Mary Kate - Eric (WWII Veteran). He may have married Hilda May Hall and died in Ottawa. Doug married Betty and may have lived in San Jose, California. Phyllis Louise married ? Fleuriau (he's not mentioned in her obit so they may have divorced) d 2007 St. John's. Phyllis had two daughters - Sandra & Denise.
Stanley, Flowers Cove, (he was a game warden & fisheries officer) had one other child besides Mildred who lived (3 died young) and that was Jock. Mildred ran a bed and breakfast apparently in Trout River, NL and had at least one son Blaine who is mentioned in the book. Jock had at least two sons. I found a telephone # for one of the sons if you'd like to contact me directly. He may be able to put you in contact with someone who could help in your search.
My email is ppike@hotmail.com.

Have a great day,

Paula
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
GardinerMatth... 24 Feb 2012 12:47AM GMT 
ppike69 3 Mar 2012 4:32PM GMT 
GardinerMatth... 4 Mar 2012 6:14PM GMT 
ppike69 5 Mar 2012 1:31PM GMT 
GardinerMatth... 3 Apr 2012 7:12PM GMT 
ppike69 4 Apr 2012 10:59PM GMT 
GardinerMatth... 6 Apr 2012 6:10AM GMT 
GardinerMatth... 6 Apr 2012 6:16AM GMT 
ppike69 10 Apr 2012 8:45PM GMT 
GardinerMatth... 8 Feb 2014 11:07PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions