Search for content in message boards

Beatons & Gills of dominion point/peterview Nfld

Replies: 4

Beatons & Gills of dominion point/peterview Nfld

Posted: 4 Oct 2012 1:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gill Beaton
Hello all,
My apologies for some repeats, but I think it's necessary to start a new thread with this family, as the Paul's dominated the other thread at wigwam point.

I am seeking information on the following family, specifically:

MARY BEATON
(unsure if maiden name, parents or origin)
b. Unknown - betw. 1800-1815 "didn't belong to anyone"
m. to JAMES GILL (b. around 1799 Wilborne, Dorset, England; died Feb 1869 Exploits Burnt Island?) 1830-1836, unknown location - an Evans family tree has them married or a record existing at Pritchard's Island, Bonavista - unsure if same family
d.Unknown.
Children:
1. Charles Beaton GILL (my 2d Gr Grandfather), b. 1832-33, Kite Cove, Exploits; died March 20, 1887 Botwood. I do not have a certificate yet. Known in Peterview (heritage book) as "Charles Gill" who was a fisherman along with his brothers in the area.

+7 Jane, James, George, Sophia Ellen(1st), Alice, John Henry (who was interviewed/in several books re: his mother and Shanadhidit Nancy), Susan Gill.

Notes on Mary Beaton:
Mary Beaton worked as a servant in Mr. Peyton's house when Shanadhidit Nancy (one of the last Beothuks) resided there. I believe micmak1 Jackie referred to this story as well, as Mary being quite young and "didn't belong to anyone". Mary told her children about Nancy, and in the book "River Lords" Mary is beieved to be referred to as an Indian. To be confirmed as I cannot find a copy of the book - out of print? This story is also referred to in "The Beothuk or Red Indians: Aboriginals of Newfoundland" by Howley. John Gill's testament.

Also, I met with Gerald "Bud" Beaton in Botwood last week - wonderful man! And he said Nish Paul gave him a photo of a woman named "Mary Beaton" whom Nish thought was Gerald's grandmother, but was not? She was native, wearing a headdress. He believed she was originally from Nova Scotia, and that she returned there. This would not be his grandmother Mary Paul who lived and died in the area. I asked him if he thought it might be my Mary Beaton who married James Gill (much older) and he said, it might. He still may have the photo in storage. We can't prove it's her, but it would be quite a boon to find it!

My family is interested in confirming Mary Beaton's indian identity and our ancestry and pursuing status if it is not too late.

If anyone has info on this line of the family, and possible micmak/indian status - please contact me at kristam@rogers.com.

Thank you,

Krista M
www.thatsrelative.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
kristam114 4 Oct 2012 7:45PM GMT 
bbot64 26 Oct 2012 9:46PM GMT 
newfiekelly 10 Nov 2012 2:22AM GMT 
gloriacox1974 27 Mar 2014 3:36AM GMT 
gloriacox1974 27 Mar 2014 3:49AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions