Search for content in message boards

Foley/Smith of Argentia

Replies: 20

Re: Foley/Smith of Argentia

Posted: 4 Jun 2013 12:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Maggie,
We share the same common ancestor: James Foley (1846 – 1928)and Mary Smith (1843- ).

I am familiar with the history and agree, it is really tragic but typical of the prejudices of the time.

My great uncle Capt. Peter Foley who was born in Point Moll near Placentia used to tell tales about how his people were mistreated by the authorities because they were "dark". This may well have been the reason that Avalon was selected for relocation. It was certainly the reason so many moved to Bostom and New Bedford MA. He was very self-conscious about this and refused to wear a white shirt, lest he be regarded as non-white.

He and my grandfather has straight coal black hair, a widow's peak, and light brown almost copper colored skin. Nicholas' wife (my paternal GM) visitied Newfoundland once to see Nicolas' mother; she told me she was shocked to find that "she was an Eskimo". My maternal grandmother, upon meeting my father for the first time, instantly recognized that he was of mixed Irish and native ancestry.

Most of the early Irish fisherman (under contract, imported as young men from western Ireland) had no way to obtain an Irish wife because they had to pay the ship fare, so they intermingled with the local Mi'kmaq peoples. The resulting offspring were called Metis. There was also a tremendous amount of consanguinity leading to a recessive lung disease among the Foleys.

I have had my DNA done through Ancestry and mine is nearly all Bristish Isles except for a small amount not identifiable, I suspect through Mary Smith.

My email is pedneuro@ymail.com so please feel free to contact my directly.

Thanks for all your help.

Catherine
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
cleveland_mag... 15 Mar 2013 7:12PM GMT 
DrCathBodak 3 Jun 2013 8:01AM GMT 
cleveland_mag... 4 Jun 2013 5:02PM GMT 
DrCathBodak 4 Jun 2013 6:39PM GMT 
CarolynM21 10 Oct 2013 3:15PM GMT 
royle194 29 Aug 2013 11:32AM GMT 
cleveland_mag... 17 Sep 2013 6:40PM GMT 
cleveland_mag... 17 Sep 2013 6:42PM GMT 
royle194 21 Sep 2013 9:53PM GMT 
royle194 4 Oct 2013 10:03AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions