George Joseph & Frederick Watson

Replies: 5

George Joseph & Frederick Watson

Posted: 13 Oct 2011 2:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Oct 2011 2:10PM GMT
Surnames: Watson
Hi there,

I am trying to research my father's side of the family, and struggling.

My father's father came from Canada. His name was George Joseph Watson, born 1918/19. His father, as listed on my grandparent's marriage certificate, was Frederick Watson, a fisherman.

I had thought that he'd originated from St John's. However, today on a website (not sure if I'm allowed to put direct links or not, so I'll err on the side of caution), I found that on the 1935 provincial census, was a Frederick Watson married to Stella, with a plethora of children, but not George. However a few records prior to that, I find a George Watson, aged 17, as nephew to the Hallern family.

I went further back to the 1921 census, and again I find Frederick married to Estelle, with fewer children, but again, not George .... and again a couple of records away, I find George, this time listed as an adopted son, of the Hallern's.

I know that George Joseph Watson (my g'father) came across in the 2nd World War, trained at a camp in Shropshire and met my grandmother. I also know that they unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately!) got divorced, and whilst he briefly repatriated to Canada, came swiftly back and settled in Rugby, where he had a brother living (name unknown).

I never knew my g'father, and my g'mother is now dead (as is my father) so I'm a bit stuck for any more facts !

Can anyone shed any light for me, or even point me in a fruitful direction ...

I am fully expecting the trail to eventually lead me back to Scotland (well, afterall with a name like Watson, in Canada ... ), but I'm just stuck for the moment...
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Zedwards42 13 Oct 2011 8:10PM GMT 
JaniceGardner... 8 Jul 2012 4:44AM GMT 
Zedwards42 2 Sep 2013 7:43PM GMT 
mersea675 5 Jan 2014 3:52PM GMT 
JaniceGardner... 6 Jan 2014 2:49AM GMT 
JaniceGardner... 14 Jan 2014 11:08PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions