Ripley - Cumberland County, Nova Scotia

Replies: 6

Ripley - Cumberland County, Nova Scotia

Posted: 28 Sep 2000 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 10:01AM GMT
Surnames: Ripley, Shipley
I am Richard Ripley of Ontario.

Here is my linkage to the original Robert Ripley: Richard (7), Roger (6), Earl Grey (5), Gilbert (4), Henry (3), Henry (2), Robert (1). I am building a database which is now over 3000 names. The database started with my father's gleanings. I am now adding Ernest Coates work on the Ripleys, Russell Ewing's work on the Shipleys, Sheare Ann Bliss's (on-line) work on the Ripleys and others; I am adding data and photos from Mrytle (Ripley) Chappell's book, 'Fenwick: 1778-1978'. I have used the Ripley Gazette by Gord Ripley (on-line). I am making it as accurate and detailed as possible, reconciling differenecs in detail as best as I can.

I would offer anyone any help they need. If you need information which may be under that wonderful family canopy, just ask. I have the Ripley and other Coats of Arms available on request- Read, Shipley, many others. I have Robert Ripley's will available as a jpeg. I have Herbert Ripley's diary of his 1811 trip available as a jpeg. But I also need some help.

I would like any illustrations or drawings or whatever of any of the ships which our ancestors crossed on, mostly from the Yorkshire, England area, to Nova Scotia - such as the Albion, and any other.

I would greatly appreciate any photos of any persons within this family network, preferably scanned as .jpegs, available to be sent as attachments to email messages.- I offer the same in return. I have a fair number of photos of varying quality which I can send. BUT, most importantly... I need some information about my great-grandfather.

My great grandfather is Gilbert Pugsley Ripley, son of Henry Ripley (3)-Henry Ripley (2)-Robert Ripley (1).

Gilbert appears here and there as a dead end, often identified as Gilbert T. Ripley. He was Gilbert Pugsley, name after an uncle, Gilbert Pugsley, who donated 500 pounds to build the Anglican Church at Amherst, about the time of his birth, in the late 1840s. He married Maria Amelia Shipley in 1870, and the couple can be found in the 1871 census. About 1875, the family headed west to Ontario.

There was a tragic death of the youngest child Franklin, who fell in the Thames River at Louisville, Ontario, and died a few weeks later of pneumonia. There were stories of mismanagment of funds from the sale of Nova Scotia land. Whatever the reason, Gilbert abandoned the family and went to the States. Family lore has it that he went to Iowa and died a pauper in the 1920's. HOWEVER...

Gord Ripley, on the Ripley Gazette, has posted his date of death and location... as Detroit, 1948. While the location makes sense, the date would make Gilbert almost 100 years old. Gord Ripley has not responded to my request for further information, and identification of his source.

Gord Ripley has described his indebtedness to Ron Elliot, a noted Ripley researcher in Ottawa, so I am guessing the information came from Ron's archives. But Ron also does not reply to my email request.

Sooo - can anyone please help me, perhaps someone from Iowa, Michigan, any of those areas, or anyone who might know any information about Gilbert Ripley? Did he remarry? Did he have a good life, after leaving his family? Why did he do it? Are there any photos of him? Where is he buried?

Any leads would be appreciated. Thanks from Richard Ripley, email directly at verdego@hotmail.com.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
verdego 28 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT 
dmr32gd 13 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT 
verdego 13 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT 
rebecca jones (MAYNE) 26 Jan 2002 6:33PM GMT 
feebe98 1 Nov 2012 6:28AM GMT 
AprilHebert44 24 Jun 2001 10:27PM GMT 
verdego 25 Jun 2001 4:04PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic