Search for content in message boards

Elizabeth Hunter-John Bell Family

Replies: 2

Re: Elizabeth Hunter-John Bell Family

Posted: 22 Feb 2013 11:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hunter, Gillies, Donaldson, Brown
Hi, there!

Since I posted my original message YEARS ago, I have discovered a lot more about this particular family!

YES, Elizabeth's parents were MATTHEW and ELIZABETH GILLIES [the spelling I have] HUNTER, who were married on 23 April 1744, probably in Beith. I have only 4 children for this marriage: ELIZABETH MARY (1745-1813), who married JOHN BELL; JOHN (1746-1753); JAMES (1748-?); and JANET (10 Aug. 1749-?). Elizabeth Gillies Hunter died on 10 Aug. 1749 with the birth of Janet.

Matthew and ANN DONALDSON Hunter's children were JOHN (b. 1753-?); MATTHEW JR. (1754-?); and HUGH (b. 1755-?). Ann Donaldson Hunter died probably in November 1755, not long after the birth of Hugh on 25 November.

With an infant to care for, Matthew married MARGARET BROWN** on 23 Feb. 1756. Their first child, daughter ANN Hunter, was born the NEXT DAY on 24 Feb.! **EITHER Margaret was possibly a pregnant widow OR she and Matthew had a relationship before Ann Donaldson Hunter died, resulting in Margaret's pregnancy. I also have not been able to find any dates for Margaret Brown Hunter.

I have searched a long time to find out the exact relationship between MATTHEW HUNTER and my 5th GGGrandfather, EDWARD the Younger HUNTER, b. 15 Oct. 1731 in Daff, Inverkip, Renfrewshire, but I've not found--as yet--the connection.

I believe Matthew and Edward were cousins, with Matthew being the possible son of either JOHN HUNTER (b. 1 Jan. 1698-?) or ROBERT HUNTER (b. 18 March 1695-?), who were brothers of EDWARD the Elder HUNTER (b. about 1696-?)--father of Edward the Younger.

From what you have posted, I'm sure we're talking about the same Matthew Hunter family. Do you have parents for Matthew? There are SOO many Hunter's in Ayr and Renfrew that it's hard to separate them!!

Feel free to contact me at madehlinne[at]yahoo[dot]com and we can exchange more info!

Madehlinne

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Madehlinne 17 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Blackroberte1 22 Feb 2013 4:25PM GMT 
Madehlinne 22 Feb 2013 6:44PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic